APC Smart UPS shows overload with no load attached

How do I deal with a Smart UPS 1000 that shows overload after self test when no load is attached? The inverter sounds quite a bit louder than usual.

This unit worked fine for a long time until it was unplugged for precisely 2 weeks and moved...

Reply to
runderwo

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 23:09:10 +0000, Homer J Simpson Has Frothed:

Or it got dropped during the move.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Typical failures of APC UPS -- in order of frequency (based upon an APC refurbishment operation):

  1. Battery
  2. Charger circuit for battery
  3. Inverter circuit from battery to outlets

gb

Reply to
w9gb

I wish I could blame it on that, but the best I can offer there is that it may have caught some bad vibrations during the drive. I'll take it apart and reconnect everything next time I look at it.

Reply to
runderwo

Someone gave me one a while back. I replaced the batteries with prime units from a local alarm company. Recently a cat caused a shutdown of power to the unit and it completely discharged. I restored power to it and it seemed okay, but over 24 hours later (and naturally at 0-dark-30) our natural-gas alarm went off. After the gas company cleared their stuff, I figured out the vapor was coming from the SmartUPS 700, which was pretty hot.

I unplugged it and took it out of service. I have a nice, new 1000VA TrippLite from Costco and I feel much safer now.

--
"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day,
they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally.

Arfa -

I met Chris through some mutual friends -- he first started this business in his parent's basement (when he was finishing high school).

IF you have a specific question -- fell free to call or e-mail him at the Internet -- I provided.

APC has now been purchased by Schneider Electric (a French company that also acquired Square D a few years ago).

gb

Reply to
w9gb

If this Chris guy is the one to talk to with detailed knowledge of these, then yes. I would like to put my symptoms to him. As I'm sure you know if you're involved in service at all, it's very common if you explain a set of symptoms for an item that you're not familiar with, to someone who is, they will just say " Oh yes, that's a common problem. Just replace Q502 " or whatever. Once again, today, we had a brief power outage in the village, and once again, the ups didn't hold up. However, perhaps I'm missing something. This is the first reference that I've seen to him, and I'm not seeing any contact e-mail or web address for him anywhere. If you would prefer, just mail me his details direct off-group. Is he a licensed ham operator ? I note that you are mailing via the ARRL. I too am licensed here.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily