Antec Neo 480 Problem

Hello,

I have an Antec Neo 480 ATX PSU. When I shorted out pin 14 on the main connector, it would turn on fine, but when connected to a known good motherboard, it would not power up. It would give standby power to the mobo, but not bring it to full power. So I took apart the PSU and discovered two bulging electrolytic capacitors on the secondary side, and a resistor that appeared to have failed. The resistor turned out to still be functional, but it had overheated to the point of destroying the shrink wrap around it and the paint, so I replaced it with a higher wattage version and also replaced the capacitors.

After that it would power up the mobo under minimal load (graphics card and RAM plugged in, but no CPU or anything else.) I got excited thinking I had fixed it, but once I added CPU, hard drive, etc., it would no long power it up. But it still provides standby power and still powers up with no load (via shorting pin 14.)

I am still trying to absorb everything at

but from what I have read so far it looks like the only components that are likely to fail under load but work fine when not under load are the rectifiers. Is this true?

I don't have any spare rectifiers, and I don't know of a way to test them with an ohm meter while they are under load. Is there a way?

For about $10 or $15 I could just order new ones, replace them and see what happens, but that could get expensive fast if I have to keep doing that with other components.

Or does anybody have any better ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
Edward_B

Find a new on sale for maybe $40 and quit wasting your time. The time you spend finding sources for parts will probably exceed that. If you have time to waste, you can make a project out of the bad one while still having the use of a working machine without worrying about reliability issues.

Reply to
JB

you

ng

Yeah, I'm making a project out of it. Not that my time is immensely valuable from a monetary standpoint, but I don't have any delusions about actually saving money with how much time it will take me to learn all this. I have a $40 supply picked out that I may end up ordering, but this is all for a secondary, non-critical system, so I'm not in a rush. It also wouldn't matter much if I fix this supply and run the system on it,as again, it's non-critical and it won't be a big deal if the PSU gives out sooner rather than later.

Reply to
Edward_B