Annoying TV disturbance

I have recently become aware (bothered by) what appears to be a line moving up across the TV screen. The TV is a Samsung

4K with HDMI input, and the line that moves up the screen appears to be a missing scan line.

The TV derives its input from a linux computer running mplayer, and the video card is an NVidia 610. The HDMI output goes to the TV and the vga output goes to a monitor which I can see while the TV is playing.

The discontinuity on the TV screen is not replicated on the monitor screen.

The moving line appears every few minutes.

I was not conscious of the problem prior to a shutdown of the video server to increase the storage capacity.

Any suggestion of what might cause the effect, or questions that may further clarify the phenomenon would be appreciated.

Reply to
root

Sounds like a ground loop hum bar, look here:

Move cables away from each other and don't use cheap co-ax, HDMI etc. cables.

Kenny

I have recently become aware (bothered by) what appears to be a line moving up across the TV screen. The TV is a Samsung

4K with HDMI input, and the line that moves up the screen appears to be a missing scan line.

The TV derives its input from a linux computer running mplayer, and the video card is an NVidia 610. The HDMI output goes to the TV and the vga output goes to a monitor which I can see while the TV is playing.

The discontinuity on the TV screen is not replicated on the monitor screen.

The moving line appears every few minutes.

I was not conscious of the problem prior to a shutdown of the video server to increase the storage capacity.

Any suggestion of what might cause the effect, or questions that may further clarify the phenomenon would be appreciated.

Kenny Cargill

Cinemasource has an RF isolator for which they want $50. I bought 3 for $25 from these guys.

My hum was in the audio from the RF feed. The isolator cleaned it all up.

Reply to
stratus46

Two tests.

Try HDMI from another source. If same fault here, blame Samsung and call their support. Or maybe cabling interference issues.

Or temporarily try another OS on your hardware. A linux live CD would do.

If it doesn't occur on the other OS, then grab the video timing info from that, and compare with your current OS.

xvidtune -show

--
Adrian C
Reply to

The fact that the line moves in that manner pretty much eliminates the display as a possibility, but it could still be a main board issue.

When the line appears, put up the TVs own menu. If the line disturbs the menu, it's a TV issue.

Reply to
John-Del

Your analysis is correct. I re-routed the hdmi cable and the problem is gone. Thanks to all who responded.

Reply to
root

Fortunately for me re-routing was sufficient.

Reply to
root

Thanks for responding. Hum seems to have been the problem since re-routing the hdmi cable fixed it.

Reply to
root

Hum seems to have been the problem. Now that you mention it, there never has been a problem in the menu displays. I should have thought of that.

Reply to
root