Aldi rechargeable shaver - battery replacement?

I don't suppose anyone has one of those Aldi rechargeable foil shavers and has taken the plunge and replaced the batteries inside it?

(FYI for non-UK readers - this is a cheap UK supermarket own brand!)

Mine is about 2 years old, and works fine except that the built-in batteries are pretty-well gone; it now just holds charge for about a day or two's shaving, but soon it will be only possible to use it tethered by its mains cable/charger.

I've opened it up and the batteries (AA or AAA size) are concealed by a plastic housing and circuit board to which they are soldered. Any further surgery now on my part will involve breaking into the housing, which I think will carry a high risk of killing the shaver altogether, which would be a pity! I can't see any easy way in.

So I'm just wondering whether anyone else has been down this road before me and successfully opened up one of these to replace the batteries?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Aldi is owned by Wall-Mart, although most stores are a much higher proportion food goods than Wall-Marts are.

I've done this a number of times with shavers and beard trimmers, and kept some old ones going for years. Mine were all Ni-Cds which are getting harder to find nowadays. At 2 years old, yours almost certainly isn't NiCds, more likely NiMH. I guess there might be some products with Lithium polymer batteries at the top of the range. NiMH with solder tags are easy to find.

Can't comment on the ease of disassembly of your unit. If the shaver was waterproof, I would not assume it still will be. If the shaver brings in mains directly, then you must be particularly careful to reassemble with any insulation barriers in the right place.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

I thought *Asda* was owned by Wal-Mart (!Wall-Mart)? Or is it really both?

   http://www.diybanter.com
Reply to
Bob Eager

Asda is owned by Wall-Mart (American). Aldi is a German company.

--
  B Thumbs
  Change lycos to yahoo to reply

No, you're right.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

Bullshit.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It is Wal-Mart, with only one 'L'

There are Aldi supermarkets in the US.

Michael A. Terrell

We have a local ALDI, started out only with food, but expanded into general merchansdise (about 20% of the floor space is now non-food. They have just gotten zoning for a new big store and I can't wait to see what they carry. It is bare-bones shopping, but prices beat everyone else and it has become quite popular in our supposedly upscale Naperville suburban Chicago area. SHopped at some of their stores in Germany also over the years and they are wisdespread over there, their home location. ADSA is the Wal-Mart subsidiary, they were bought out a few years ago.

Reply to
hrhofmann

In message , "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net" writes

I imagine they will run the stores in the same way that they do in the UK. In addition to the basic foods lines they have specials that are changed twice a week. If you want to know what their specials are going to be you need to sign up for their email mailing list. Lidl are a very similar operation and work the same way.

The specials often include various tools and household hardware. I've found that they are generally good value but you need to buy when they have stock and not when you need something.

--
Bernard Peek
Reply to

Yes I'm sure I can sort it similarly, provided I can get inside without destroying it!

No, it comes with a wall-wart so fortunately it's only low voltage input.

David

Reply to
Lobster

And here in Australia

--
Tony Bryer,  \'Software to build on\' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk   www.superbeam.com  www.greentram.com

Since when?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I've done this with a razor in the past, though not the one you have. The only issue I came across was that the batteries (2 of 'em) were a non- standard size. However RS, or Farnell stocked the 2/3rds size cells I needed. A quick swap-out and it was back to working again. If yo do have to break into anything, hot-melt glue is your friend for making reasonably sturdy repairs.

Reply to
pete

you will need to open it up with a stanley knife and see if you can get an idea of the voltage and capacity of the batteries. chances are you'll be able to find a replacement. if need be, be sure to order ones with solder tags spot- welded on!

might give you an idea.

-B.

Save-A-Lot beats them on some things, Aldi on others. The same with Wal-Mart. Distilled water for 87 cents a gallon, and diet pop I can stand to drink, 78 cents for a two liter bottle. Some brands use artificial sweetener that makes me sick. Sams Club is good for some food items, as well. I go to Aldi and Sams club about once a month, then I do the rest of my shopping at a local Winn-Dixie or Save-A-Lot store that area couple miles from me.

Michael A. Terrell

Never owned one but will comment on an older Norelco 85xx I own. Bought in 1983 this was state of the art with a digital display. Even back then it went for $100 US. But it was well worth it. Still charges enough for maybe a week's worth of 2 minute shaves. So that's what 26 years? I always waited until the battery was totally depleted before recharging, ignoring the charge warning.

Reply to
Meat Plow

There's a simple solution to the cost of keeping your electric razor working...

You stop shaving.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

What's the name exactly of the diet drink that doesn't have a saccharin taste, I can't find one.

Reply to
mark

Water.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I don't know any that taste like Saccharin ©. It was banned for a long, long time, but I remember how foul it tasted in the '60s. It was so foul that I won't touch anything made with it. The one I buy at Wal-Mart is their Diet Dr. Thunder ©, a knockoff of Dr. Pepper ©. The two others I can drink are Winn-Dixie Check © brand. Their Diet Kountry Mist ©, a knockoff of Mountain Dew ©. the other is their Diet Creme Soda ©. All three use Aspartame ©. Other artificial sweeteners give me severe diarrhea.

Michael A. Terrell