Akai amp Am-U04

I turn on my amp and then turn on the cd or the tuner, which are both plugged into the back of the amp and then there is this very loud sort of cracking crackling noise from the speakers. Even if I do not touch the volume control there is that loud noise. It kind of scares me. Sometimes if I slide the volume control back and forth it quits. Also for no reason the speakers will cut in and out. Could it be some dirt in the system. Patt.

Reply to
Patt

Sounds like a job for Switch Cleaner Man ...

Seriously though, if it really does seem to be related to the volume control, and it's a slider, these can usually be recovered without too much fuss, by standing the amp on its back, then squibbing a *small* amount of switch cleaner / lubricant into the slot that the contol's operating lever runs in. Once it's in there, scrub the control vigourously back and forth for 5 seconds. If after doing this, the control feels a bit 'stiff', due to the switch cleaner having washed out some of the mechanical lubrication, you can usually get it feeling ok again by putting just a drop or two of light machine oil in there. Failing doing it this way, it's a case of having the pot out and replacing it ( likely not available if it's an old Akai ) or stripping it and cleaning and relubing it, which can only be done if it's a metal bodied type. If the pot is badly worn, then none of these methods other than replacement, will cure it, but the fact that it seems to recover for a while after you 'work' the pot, would indicate that you stand a good chance.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily