adding a second hard drive to dvr

Hello people, I currently run a DVR which records CCTV images around my home. It has a 250GB HDD but I want to add another 160G via using an external HDD housing. As my DVR housing only supports one HDD, would adding another (externally) cause an electrical overload? Mr J

Reply to
mr j

Maybe. Depends on how the DVR was designed.

Do you know that the software in the DVR will support a second drive?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Hi, the DVR was designed initially only to accept one HDD. As for the software in the DVR, I have no idea if it will support a second drive (i'll be perfectly honest with you, I know nothing of the software in the DVR - I didn't even know there was any!) Mr J

Reply to
mr j

Is there an internal connector for a second drive? If so, what type (IDE/ATA, other?). If not, where do you plan on connecting the second drive?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

There is no internal connector for a second drive. I was thinking of using Y splitters for the two conections necessary and having the second HDD in a stand alone situation (in a HDD carrier/holder). It's a rather DIY job but i'm hoping to learn. Mr J

Reply to
mr j

You are way, way over your head j. You need to learn a lot more before you start hacking away at the DVR and cause it to stop functioning completely.

By the way, did you have a source for these 'y splitters'? Radio Shack?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I have yet to see a model # and make so that anyone knowledgeable on this can even do some intelligent research. In the PC world adding a drive is almost a no-brainer, but here all bets are off.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Do not forget that some DVRs like the HDTV sets have the tamper switches on them which will render the unit inoperable if power is applied with the cover off.

I took one apart that was already on the curbside only to find out that someone prior to it being thrown out had taken it apart with the power cord plugged in. The cost to send it off to be "re-coded" by the manufacture was more than 50% the cost to replace the unit!!!!

Reply to
dkuhajda

I have already changed the HDD from a 160 to a 250 - and yes I switched it off before I carried this out and then reformatted it. It's just that DVR's are new to me as such. Cheers anyway. Mr J

Reply to
mr j

Reply to
Mike Berger

On 6 Apr 2006 14:32:22 -0700, "mr j" put finger to keyboard and composed:

A "Y-splitter" for IDE???

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Or maybe SATA. I suggested Radio Shack.

ROFLMAO.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Do you have a list of manufacturers that do this? They deserve to be avoided at all costs!

Mike

Reply to
Remove _ for valid address