400 hz tone from 32" LCD

Olevia (yeah don't laugh) 400 hz tone through internal speakers no matter what intput HDMI etc... but not when muted. Tone starts when you dim the CFLs. Has three settings for ambient room light compensation. Does not make the tone when the CFLs are at their brightest setting. And the tone is barely noticable but annoying if the room is quiet.

Just thought this was odd.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Just out of curiosity... How are you dimming the CFLs? X-10? Or is the dimming part of the CFLs?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Interesting. Look further down in my thread from the 11th "More strange LCD distortion ..." Go right to the bottom-but-one post from Meat Plow, and read what he has to say on this very subject ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Are you referring to the TV's menu settings?

The menu on my LCD TV shows "DLC on/off", but there is no explanation of what the setting(s) are for, but now that you've mentioned the topic, I believe the settings are to compenste for best picture brightness, depending upon different room light levels.

Changing the selections of DLC on-off changes the display brightness.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Ooops ! Silly me. Senior moment. I mis-read who this post was from ... Ignore my insane ramblings

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The backlighting for the LCD screen not the ambient light.

Reply to
Meat Plow

On the TV's remote there is a "brightness" button of which you can dim the TV's backlighting to dark or medium or back to bright. When you dim the backlight the tone starts. It stops when you set it to bright. There are no sub menus needed to change the output of the TV's cfls.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Don't make me fly Delta watching droopy screens to come kick your butt.

Reply to
Meat Plow

It was confusing, because one doesn't think of a fluorescent backlight as a "CFL".

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

You would, of course, be most welcome ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

If he can catch you at home. :)

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

What do you think it as?

Reply to
Meat Plow

An FL. Since when is it "compact"?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Most of them are CCFL's (CC=Cold Cathode). That's very different from a CFL (C=Compact).

Reply to
greenpjs

So the C means 'compact' ?

Reply to
Meat Plow

I drop the CC bullshit and just call them cold FL hence CFL.

The point is any seasoned tech would know the difference when I refer to dimming the CFLs in the set as cold FLs and not compact unless you're just trying to f*ck with me. And there's nothing wrong with that AFAIC because I do it myself.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I came in late on this, and didn't have the context. I wasn't try to mess with you.

I've heard them called "cold-cathode fluorescents", but the CFL abbreviation is commonly used for "compact fluorescent".

PS: There aren't many men who can do that. It's remarkable.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Loose core in one or more invertor transformers? Olevea uses some real sad quality invertor transformers. Set backlight low and hold down transformer cores one by one to identify who dunnit?

Reply to
jango2

Yeah it's a little confusing but the subject wasn't and I apologize for not explaining well enough.

The backlighting dimmer causes a 400hz tone when either set to dark or medium room. When at the bright setting presuming the dimmer is not functioning the tone is gone.

Might be a problem that could be solved by a firmware via USB upgrade but the set's manu is Chapter 10 (Syntax-Brillian)

And it's really only a problem when viewing 4:3 content. I like a real black border on each side and with the backlight cranked up full that's not possible. What I do is change the aspect to zoom x1 and the aspect ratio is kept the same although I get a little cropping which isn't a problem. It isn't even an issue on HD channels as simply adjusting the gamma and contrast and keeping a small light on in the room pointing towards the ceiling works very well.

Reply to
Meat Plow

bob

Reply to