1999 Ford Windstar Front Electronic Module replace/repair?

A friend's 1999 Ford Windstar started to cause trouble a year ago: The right front turn indicator went on once, then off and a problem with the bulb was displayed, even though it was ok. Connecting front and side indicator lamp "solved" the problem. Later more electric devices, all controlled by this "FEM" went "mad": Interior lights flashed, windscreen wiper turned on and off randomly, theft protection sounded alarm without a cause. Almost all 2pin SMD-Components are slightly misplaced, probably causing bad soldering:

While removing the FEM from the car, the interior lights started flashing. It stopped, when I knocked on the Module...

I would prefer to get a "FEM" from a junkyard, but the Ford dealer says, that the module must be "clear", because otherwise the central computer would refuse to communicate with the module. Any way to "clear" the module?

I could re-solder bad junctions, if I had an idea, where to start (I don't want to do all of them).

Grateful for any advice, Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 14:40:46 +0200, Falk Willberg ??o??:

If the module has data stored in volatile RAM then removing the voltage source responsible for holding that data in RAM would flush it. You did talk to the person who advised you to clear the module on a way to do it?

Reply to
Meat Plow

You tried to remove a module without first disconnecting the battery? Absolutely the wrong thing to do, will typically damage the module. Never, ever work on anything electrical/electronic with the battery connected.

With the tool(s) from Ford.

Do them all.

Reply to
PeterD

Meat Plow schrieb:

I was told that disconnecting the power does not do the job.

I talked to the owner of the car who talked to someone, who told him that. I also found some hint on the web, saying that some Ford-tools need to be used to replace the FEM with a "blank" one.

It is said to be some kind of theft protection.

Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg

PeterD schrieb:

No, not really. We only wanted to hear some music while we were searching for screw #3 ;-) Before disconnecting the module, I disconnected the battery.

The workshops my friend asked said, that they no longer have those tools...

I even refuse to count them:

Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg

Some deleted:

That is true. Almost all late model automotive computer modules store the important basic operating data in non volitle EEPROMs. So it would still retain its old data even with power disconnected. Tis is why the car doesn't go compleatly out of operation when the battery dies and has to be replaced.

The dealer has a computer designed to interface directly with the car's computer and reset the data in the modules directly. There may be some interface tools and software available to do it yourself with a laptop but it could be risky since finding the right data to reset may be a hard challenge.

Gnack

Reply to
Gnack Nol

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 15:39:49 +0200, Falk Willberg ??o??:

Theft protection for an FEM? That doesn't make sense. Talk to a Ford dealer who repairs vehicles of that age and they will tell you how to go about clearing an FEM if they are willing to take the time. I'm sure they would have the procedure somewhere just in case they needed to clear one. If it involves a factory proprietary tool you might have difficulty getting ahold of one.

Reply to
Meat Plow

If you can get to the card as shown in the pictures while the car is running, take a small piece of wood or plastic where you can trim the end to look like chisel shape and run it across the solder joints as if you were painting them and watch for anything strange to happen. Not too hard and try both directions. It just might catch a poor solder joint.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

The module will have non-volital information such as the VIN number and vehicle options stored in it. This information must be updated to match the vehicle, or the module will refuse to work.

Ford has diagnostic tools that do this. All Ford dealers have these tools. Despite what the OP says, they (the tools) are not obsolete and the dealers do have them. Whether the dealer will want to use the tools is a different question.

Reply to
PeterD

Hmmm,

I'd also suspect the 2 OMRON relays. Can you tap on them with the car running and see what happens?

Also, this board looks like it has a conformal coating on it. Not so easy to resolder.

Regards, Tim Schwartz

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Charlie schrieb:

No way, unfortunately. I reconnected the module and slightest movements at any cable causes different effects.

Next I will try to find a Ford dealer who is capable and willing to help the poor guy who owns the car.

Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg

he

s,

?

Some dealers will ONLY sell new parts and will not help anybody replace used parts.

Reply to
sparky

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 07:44:00 -0400, Tim Schwartz ??o??:

the car

Not so

I repaired a Dodge SMEC that was potted in entirety in silicone rubber. Wasn't the easiest to do but it can be done if you are willing or desperate. In my case it was desperation as i didn't have $300 for a rebuilt unit. And in the 88 Dodge Dakota 4x4 the SMEC controls much of the things the Ford FEM does even though its primary duty is engine control.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Hi!

It seems to me like the fix would be fairly easy, then...check the connectors for bad solder joints and repair them.

Apart from the relays, it really doesn't look like there is much to go wrong on that board.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

For the records: A used module (FEM) from the junkyard works perfectly. Today we replaced the bad one and all is fine.

Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg

e?

My driver window switch replaced to fix driver front window on 2001 windsta r. I had broken it trying to troubleshoot it. I had checked fuses and power and window worked once, so not the motor of the window. I fixed one fuse. I checked power to motor with switch on, and no power, but i hear a click noise in the module under dash, and then googled to see what electronic par ts are associated with the power window and results came up with the front module being a part of the window system. I accidentally bought the rear on ebay not noticing it said rear till i got it delivered. I then ordered the front on ebay again for 22 dollars. See how it goes. Blessings!

Reply to
freedom.1234.gt

That was eighteen (18) years ago, or very nearly.

Reply to
peterwieck33

More like 8, but who is counting?

Reply to