12.1 inch = 13 inches for LCD display?

12.1 inch diagonal, from corner to corner of the overlying mask, but that would be called 13 inches wouldn't it. No way it would be called a 12 inch model ?
Reply to
N_Cook

Sales droids rounding up.

-- Boris

Reply to
Boris Mohar

For a while, they were all being honest about LCD sizes. Lately, the word "class" has been used - as in "22 inch class TV" - so they are back to their old games.

Reply to
greenpjs

inch

Seems its worse than that, called 13.4 inches , not 13 inches

Reply to
N_Cook

snipped-for-privacy@neo.rr.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

now we also have to deal with extrawide screens. not only 16:9 "hi-def",but greater ratios.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

om:

So, if you want a screen size that is vertically the same as a tv you are replacing, you have to buy a larger size, if you are not smart or alert enough to figure this out, and buy a tv with the same diagonal measurement as your old tv set, the picture will be noticeably smaller in the vertical direction and that much harder to see.

Reply to
hrhofmann

.com:

:

he

Just look at how much of the HD pic you see on a standard TV. You'll=20 soon figure out those black bands top and bottom take out a chunk of=20 size. I figured I will get the same picture size as my 27-28" SD TV with=20 a 32" High Def one, even with the reduced height, because it is already=20 being reduced by the broadcaster.

- Tim -

Reply to
Tim

Tim wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.aliant.net:

I don't like the flat panel TVs,because EVERY one I've seen,in stores and sports bars,have improper geometry; a circle looks oval,and peoples heads look flattened. the vertical was being compressed. it didn't matter what aspect ratio was being displayed.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Its judder between frames of moving video content I cannot tolerate. I've just worked how to reconfigure and retain my nice 20 yearold CTR TV with the total UHF-analogue switch off in our area in 4 months time.

Reply to
N_Cook

Mr Yanik, this is physically impossible.

A 16:9 set with 1080 by 1920 pixels CANNOT display a 16:9 image with anything other than correct geometry. There is a fixed number of pixels, with a fixed "shape" (square).

What you are most-likely seeing is a 4:3 broadcast that has been widened to fill the screen.

How could a rational person think that monitors were so grossly misdesigned?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

There are sets without this problem (generally plasma). Buy one.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck