anyone used silicon labs CP2103-EB?

Hi all -

I got the Silicon Laboratories CP2103-EB inteface kit from DigiKey. This is an adapter from a standard USB connection to provide a standard RS232 interface. It comes with an interface adapter board, a USB cable, an RS232 cable, and a driver disk. The kit works great and is reasonably priced.

I have been having a problem in trying to use two of these kits with my laptop simultaneously, though. When the first kit is plugged in, it is correctly enumerated and the Hardware Profile shows a COM port available. When the second kit is plugged into the USB, it has an error. If I exchange the two kits in plug-in order, the problem follows the second kit.

Has anyone used two of these kits in the same system? Is there a trick to getting it to peacefully coexist with multiple units?

I've tried the Silicon Labs website. They are no help at all. I have tried sending e-mails on multiple occassions and have had no returns.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
starfire

Hi, This may not help you, but on the other hand... I have a similar device; only one though. Some times this one seems to not work. This is normally caused by the fact that the inserted device does not correspond to the reported COM port i.e. in the Control Panel/Device handling?/Ports. Double clicking the com port in question reveals the properties. Here you click the ports and then the advanced. At this place you can change the comport used for your device and properly you might do that. Try and see if it helps. Otherwise: though luck? Hope is not the answer for your problem, but it might give you some hints. Good hunting. Cheers Klaus

starfire skrev:

Reply to
Klaus (DK)

Thanks for responding, Klaus -

I did find the method of changing the com port number to one I wanted to use by doing exactly what you suggested. The default installed port was com 6 which I was able to successfully change to com 1. The first port responds exactly how it should and I can set up a HyperTerminal session to it, etc.

The problem is really trying to get the system (Windows XP) to recognize the second device the same way so I can change the com port to com 2 and use itm, also.

I guess its tough luck :)

Dave

Reply to
starfire