Minimum required to spin up ide hard drive?

What does it take to spin up an IDE hard drive?

Here's the scenario... You're at a swapmeet or garage sale or picking up a drive you bought on Craigslist.

Me: "Is it free of bearing noise?" Seller: "Oh yeah, was my brother's primary drive." Note, the question was completely avoided...

And you get it home and it sounds like an airplane taking off.

If you plug in power, most IDE drives won't spin up. Taking along a power supply is easy. Booting a laptop and using a USB/IDE converter...not so much.

Is there a simple way to make an IDE drive spin up when powered? Connector with some address/select pins wired to ground???

Thanks, mike

Reply to
spamme9

That's not my experience; old IDE drives and new SATA drives power up and start spinning when raw power is applied.

SCSI drives, on the other hand, were made with various options (because a simultaneous startup of an 8-disk RAID was likelier to pop fuses than to perform normally). Many-parallel-disks operation of IDE was relatively uncommon.

Reply to
whit3rd

"spamme9" skrev i meddelelsen news:E3s_k.168$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...

Nothing that beats one of the IDE/SATA -> USB adapters. Then you can test the drive straight away too.

Reply to
Frithiof Jensen

Only if you have a computer in your back pocket...

Reply to
spamme9