Re: turning off harddisk and listen music from ramdisk under linux

crosspost is only a good idea when setting a follow-up2. Otherwise you

> yourself won't find the replies to your posting. Also, you're laying more > stress on the news servers. Please keep this in mind for the future. > Thanks. > > And > > >> I want to use a PC to listen mp3-music. Therefore I have to buy a big > >> harddisk. I use Linux and I want to turn off all harddisks while > >> listening, because they are so noisy. My plan is to let some > >> homegrown software copy the music data from a harddisk to a ramdisk > >> and to turn off the harddisk then. Then I would listen from the > >> ramdisk. > > > > If you turn on and off the hard drive every few minuties, you would > > shorten the life of the drive substantially. The ram up and down > > noise would probably be more annoying than a constant noise as well. > > I wouldn't recommend copying all data to the ramdisk as well. You most > certainly won't have enough memory. Having the hard disk drive always spin > up serves only one purpose: its destruction. > > > My suggestion is to nfs mount the mp3 files from a remote server (in > > the garage?). You can run a flash drive based local pc via nfs. > > > > Mp3 needs approximately 100 MHz x86. However, old Pentium (5V) are > > too hot to run without a fan. > > Only 60 and 66 MHz Pentium 1 have been running at 5V. Starting with Pentium > 90 (and Pentium 75 as well), the cpus use 3,3V.

I could be wrong about this.

> > We use a 200 MHz Pentium MMX (3.3V) > > underclocked to 100 MHz, without the CPU fan. > > Be aware that most Pentium MMX are multiplier-locked. You are lucky. The > MMX core also uses split-voltage. The core is using 2,8/2.9Volts.

I am running my fanless mp3 player with a 200MHz MMX running at

100MHz.

Chip IDs: A80503166 SL27K B7320070-1263 INTEL (c) 92'95'

It is definitely cooler at 100 MHz.

> > By not running a hard > > drive and CPU fan, we can disconnect the power supply fan as well. > > However, this is not recommended and dangerous. In case of a fire, your > insurance will find about it!

There are lots of power supplies (non PCs) running without a fan. The fan is needed in order to push the limit on the supply. If you are only using 20% of the rated capacity, there is no need for the fan. A 25 Watts (out of 150 Watts) power supply is actually cool to be touched and quite safe, according to my offical finger test.

By the way, I have been running fan-less systems for 2 to 3 years. I have not started any fire yet.

> > Using a Compact Flash drive, our mp3 player have absolutely zero > > noise. > > using a CF flash drive is good idea. You might want to look at the opts for > fli4l/EISFAIR.
Reply to
Sales for IDE-CF flash drive