GRUB error 18 ...how I can Solve d problem

hi all,
I ve an ATHENA board with 512 MB Flash and 128 RAM.  If Im trying to
install grub in flash it installed properly.
But at the boot time it stalled and prints
" GRUB loading stage 1.5

 GRUB loading,please wait...
 Error 18 "

-So How can I solv this problem.
Is there problem with grub or flash or the bios ?
Please reply me ASAP.
-Thank u

Re: GRUB error 18 ...how I can Solve d problem
Hello,

What is the geometry of the flash chip?

I quote from a german forum with probably quotes the documentation
(first search hit for "grub error 18"):

18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS
This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block address
beyond the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally happens if your
disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for (E)IDE disks on older
machines or larger than 8GB in general).

I don't know if this helps you, but as I don't know anything about grub (I
use XFDisk as fdisk as well as bootmanager)

I think it's a problem with the communication between flash and bios. Maybe
you could try to align differently, otherwise you could make the flash
(logically) smaller. Don't know if this is possible, though.

Done.

Hope this helps,
Sebastian

Site Timeline