Uninstall Outhouse Excuse?

In a moment of mental weakness this afternoon I updated my Win2K to the latest Service Packs/Security Levels.

In the process Outhouse Excuse was installed.

Anyone know of a way to uninstall it, or at least render it neutered?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Why bother? I can't seriously believe you're strapped on HD space or something..

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

It will be neutered as long as you don't use it and make it the default email client.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

You can leave it there, as long as you don't run it. Just make sure a different program is set as your default E-mnail program.

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Well if just leaving it there is not good enough and you still cannot bear the thought of it being there:

I am sure there was a tool someone written to do all this but this way you'll be sure that you've killed it...

Eugene.

Reply to
Eugene Rosenzweig

Ha! Did you see the caveat on that link? You CAN'T get rid of it!

It is so deeply embedded that removing it breaks the OS.

--
Joe Legris
Reply to

On Domain Controllers, it says you must reinstall it after removing it. Apparently you can leave it off if you don't have Active Directory set up and you don't have Outlook.

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing delete munge and invalid-
t d n e w s 0 0 0 1 {AT} a t t {DOT} n e t

Why should anyone want to use up disk space or RAM to keep MicroCrap software on their computer if they don't want it.

Al

--
There's never enough time to do it right the first time.......
Reply to

I don't know how similar Win2K is to WinXP-Pro, but if they are remotely similar, you can remove Outlook Express Via the Add/Remove dialog box. It's not listed under the normal programs section, you need to access the Add/Remove Windows Components section of it. In that area you will find Outlook Express and be able to remove it from you system, along with damn near ANY other Windows software you don't want lurking around your system...

FeMaster

Reply to
FeMaster

RAM? What RAM if its not running?

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Google for a freebie program called IEradicator - it wipes out Outhouse too :-)

-- Gregg

*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Gregg

I wasn't aware of the "Windows Components" section until David DiGiacomo pointed it out to me in an E-mail.

But, in usual MShit tradition, removing Outhouse Excuse causes all kinds of strange hangs :-(

...Jim Thompson

Backing my way out of this mistake, it looks like the third hotfix back creates instabilities, crashing Windows Explorer at the slightest provocation.

I'm now on SP4 *only*, no hotfixes, and it seems stable... cross your fingers.

...Jim Thompson

Jim,

My sysadim recommends SP3 as golden. He has problems with SP4.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Engelhardt

Thanks for the input!

...Jim Thompson

It has compatibility problems with some apps, Autodesk VIZ 3D Rendering for one.

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing delete munge and invalid-
t d n e w s 0 0 0 1 {AT} a t t {DOT} n e t
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Um, this is a sort of religion with folks. Do we really want to debate the, er, "merits" of MS software vs the alternatives, here in these particular mix of NGs? If you really do, I'll jump in with both feet and cite references, but that's not really what we're here for, is it?

Gack. Like hell. Measure the doubtless millions of wasted man-hours trying to keep this stuff running -- oops, there I go.

There is "using the tool", and there is "fighting the tool". The ratio of one to the other is the true measure of the value of a tool.

--
Regards,
Al S.

I was one of the major FreeBSD developers for several years (did the VM code), and had mostly moved over to Microsoft until recently (except for my servers.) Because of all of the security issues nowadays, I am mostly moving back to FreeBSD, and this is probably my last posting from Microsoft based OS software. (I'll still use Microsoft OSes when I have to.)

The Microsoft stuff is simply a nightmare.

John

Reply to
John Dyson

I wasn't debating anything. I was simply relating my experiences and making a few simple observations.

Gack. I guess its like religion and politics, don't bring them up in polite company.

Regards, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Robert Monsen

In sci.electronics.cad Jim Thompson wrote: : In a moment of mental weakness this afternoon I updated my Win2K to : the latest Service Packs/Security Levels.

: Anyone know of a way to uninstall it, or at least render it neutered?

Time to start using Linux . . . . Come to the Penguin!

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Brorson