the optimal battery

Well, darn.

I guess you looked through that entire dealer list and couldn't find
even one that carries NiMH batteries?

I would've looked for you, but it's not really my project, is it?

Anyway I guess you missed the part on their home page where there's a
link to NiCd batteries that they supply lead-acid replacements for.

Had you followed that link you most like likely would have found that
there's a company, SAFT, who make giant NiMH batteries, maybe even in
the form factor you're looking for.

They're at:

http://www.saftbatteries.com/

A link to their NiMH line is at:

http://www.saftbatteries.com/Produit_NHP_329_51/Language/en-US/Default.aspx

and if they don't have exactly what you want, I'd bet they know who
does, and a call or an email might get you that info.

If none of that works, go to:

http://www.thomasnet.com/?cov=NA&heading=0000000&pslpid=0000000&WT.mc_t=PPC&WT.mc_n=mcgoog&WT.sem_engine=mcgoog&WT.sem_keyword=thomas+register&WT.srch=1&WT.z_sem_account=1&mctoken=v4v43576Z3a383409656900071272Z3a758Z3a2Z3aZ3aZ3a1662Z3a3f9250d3214e2f9Z3a

and type: "Nickel-Metal Hydride aircraft batteries" into the search
box.  That'll take you to:

http://www.thomasnet.com/prodsearch.html?cov=NA&which=prod&what=Nickel-Metal+Hydride+aircraft+batteries

Where, if it's made in the US, you ought to be able to find who makes
it.

Anything else?
Reply to
John Fields

in

Rich Delany wrote: [1] Battery technology is an active area of research, but an obvious question occurs to me: why is it, no one has determined [2] the maximum possible energy/volume, and energy/weight? [3] And from there, discover the chemistry which achieves it? [4] Is there some lacuna in our understanding of solid state physics [5] which necessitates an empirical, rather than theoretical approach>

hanson wrote: [1] yes --[2] E/vol = pressure limiat's given by the matl's scaling laws. [3] Electrochemistry is a mature science - [4] yes , always & ever. [5] Empirical/experimental work ALWAYS trumps theory.

As you said, this research field is enormously active. The chem electric endeavors run from Fuel cells on the one side to Capacitors at the other. One of the most intriguing one is the Monolayer battery, so to speak a hybrid been a capacitor and an electrolyte free battery. In priciple like this:

M1-E----M2: charge M1----E-M2: discharge M1-E----M2,

where M1,2 are monolayers of different Metals and E is the mobile charge carrier like O, S, or Se. The principle is to use the electrons' different proximity or position at M1E vs M2E The potential of its fantastic energy/volume is enormous, but so are the problems to be overcome in this Nano technology field. IOW what's attempted here, in a way, is to use a variation of semiconductor technology as energy storage gizmos.

hanson

hanson

here we go. this is sort of what I'm asking about.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader