Technical questions:

1 - What is the best capacitor value for audio frequencies running above 100v? (5-10mf)

2 - Can other values can be used with inexpensive standard capacitors for voltages between 400 - 600 volts to achieve the same result?

Please let me know.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn Sutherland

Insufficient information. Need to know at least impedances, etc.

Insufficient information. Can you reveal more details? schematic?

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Hi Shawn,

I live and breathe audio, but I can't figure out your question.

Audio frequencies above 100V, do you mean frequencies above 100hz? in which case, a

5-10mF capacitor will not do what you want it to (meaning, you are trying to filter low frequencies, high pass). I seriously doubt there are many amplifiers that put over 100V to the speaker load, other than professional power amplifiers, that come close in stereo mode, and certainly do when bridged. I always laugh at these "home" amps that claim 500W/ch, yeah, ok. I have a Bryston 3B, 100W/ch, it will smoke just about anything from Pioneer/Technics and all those others.

Basically, let us know what your application is, what you want to do exactly, and I'm sure your question can be answered.

You would need a 200mF capacitor to filter 100hz and below (high pass) for an

8ohm load with a 6db/octave slope. To increase the slope to 12db/octave, you'd need a coil as well.

You would need a 400mF capacitor to filter 100hz and below (high pass) for a 4 ohm load with a 6db/octave slope.

Both situtations require bi-polar caps (non-polarized), electrolytics are easily found in this high value, but "color" the sound. Poly caps sound better, but are expensive in this large of a value, also, they are large in size. Voltage in Poly caps are usually in hundreds of volts, typically, 400V/600V. Typically, a 100V electrolytic will be more than enough, realize that the voltage produced by the amplifier is in short bursts, and vary with frequency and load. Typically, in a 12db/octave crossover network or higher, capacitor voltage won't be as critical on the high pass at higher frequencies because there is not much voltage at those frequencies. ie: a typical professional speaker can have a 600W low frequency driver, and a 35W high frequency compression driver crossed over at 1khz.

Happy New Year.

--
Myron Samila
Toronto, ON Canada

Posting the same question individually to multiple groups is not only foolish (worse than linked cross-posting), it is selfish.

Those people who do not visit each of the groups will not benefit by the intelligence of the responses at those other groups.

(This assumes that the initial question was stated well enough to draw meaningful replies.)

Reply to
JeffM

Now now, no need to be rough on the guy. Not everyone is as well educated in usenet rules and regulations as you are.

It would have taken just as much effort to answer his question as vague as it is, than to slam him.

I only visit this newsgroup for electronics, what was your point again?

Reply to
GWG

I did answer his question--in another group. This (s.e.m) was the 3rd group in which I encountered it. Had he cross-posted (or posted it in only one group) you could have easily read my response. EXACTLY MY POINT.

Reply to
JeffM

Point well taken,

so if he did cross post it, and you responded to that cross post, it very well would have appeared in this ng. ;)

excellent.

Reply to
GWG

And then when he posted his revised question, based on all the comments in at least three newsgroups telling him he wasn't asking proper questions, he posted the revised question to multiple newsgroups, but once again one at a time.

And I know I did comment on the matter of multiple posts after the first question. Though, I actually emailed the comment because when people spew across newsgroups like this, who knows whether they are bothering to read the various newsgroups so I couldn't decide which newsgroup to respond to. So I emailed him telling him it was not the proper way to do it.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black