Strange Problem With Monitor being around Microwave..

That's true, and I hadn't thought of that, but the amount of magnetic field it would create really just depends on the amount of area inside the current loop. Assuming that this is wired in the usual way, that loop is pretty small, since the two conductors are parallel to each other and maybe just 1/4" apart.

I don't think that would do it, but if there was some sort of wierd (and possibly illegal) wiring scheme that created a current loop that surrounded the room, then that would certainly cause such a problem.

-

Jim Adney

Thanks all. Good to hear it's not messing up anything that's all I care really...

jason

Reply to
jason b

Yes, you'd think it was pretty small - but this happens all the time. It just doesn't take that much field to affect the typical CRT display. (I've seen AC fields all the way down to 0.1 Gauss or a bit less still result in visible movement on the screen, during mag. susceptibility testing - and just to put that in context, that's something like a fifth of the strength of the Earth's field typical in North America.) The problem is that it's an alternating field; low-level DC fields simply cause a static displacement, which you'll either ignore or adjust out with the centering controls, but an AC field results in a very annoying jitter.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

It may be hard to believe, but as I noted in my other response here today, it doesn't take that much field to cause a problem for a CRT.

Unfortunately, magnetic fields are not that easily contained. Simply saying that "the whole thing is encased in steel" does NOT mean that there is zero magnetic field outside the unit.

It's certainly A likely source, but probably not the only possible source.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

snip

Yes I know,

But this is supposedly a very small normal leakage from a standard consumer source, the microwave transformer, encased in steel located at least several feet away. I did overlook the front panel controls area on the microwave. That may have large internal openings. Still, unlikely to be the cause I believe but -- Ockham's Razor. Regards . snip

Reply to
H. Dziardziel

Plugged into same or adjacent AC circuit? Doubt if it is Microwave RF field; they are not supposed to leak that much if properly buttoned up even though there is several hundred watts of microwave RF floating around inside to cook/heat the food. So that means interference either magnetic field and/or distortion of the AC waveform due to the m.wave transformer saturating each half cycle (120 times a second?). Read somewhere that those m.wave mains transformers which feed voltage doubling rectifier circuits for up to 5 to 6 Kv Dc for the magnetron do operate into saturation, waveform not being important.

Reply to
Terry

Excellent point: Sometimes see notices in restaurants and lunch rooms where 'customers' may microwave food themselves "Microwave in use"; as a warning to pacemaker users! Also at an airport lunch counter where microwave was in use by serving staff.

Reply to
Terry

I've never believed that was more than a stupid warning, i.e. rubber ducky marked "Not a Flotation Device"!

NSM

The warning is in case the door seal becomes defective. The leaking high power RF can cause erratic operation or total failure of the electronics in their pacemaker. Microwave ovens in commercial settings get a lot of use so the chances of a failed seal are much higher.

That's exactly who the warning is for, "The stupid!" On the other hand, if you cant swim, anything that floats may improve your chances of keeping your head above water for a few more minutes but the toy maker doesn't want to be sued if you drown anyway.

--
Beware of those who post from srvinet.com!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell