Source for new old stock or pulled LM741CN Op Amps

I am looking for a few LM741CN chips made in the 1970's. Does anyone know of a source for new old stock or any old equipment that used them that can be obtained cheap to remove them from?

Thanks!

Comm1 via ElectronicsKB.com

I hate to ask why you'd want them.

It would be a lot easier to get something more modern.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Huh?

If you can't buy 741's that are new now, you could up to a fairly recent time. They weren't even new in the seventies, but as mediocre as they were they had a really long staying power.

So the question that really needs answering is if you realize the op-amp has had a really long life, or if you for some reason think an op-amp made in a specific time period has some golden factor to it that is necessary for some specific application.

Any 741 should work. ANd likely many general purpose op-amps that have come later will work fine too, unless the circuit is something terribly exotic that relies on some quirk of the 741.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Why bother with buying old equipment that might or might not have the quantity of ICs that you need? And you're forced to pay freight on the entire mass of the equipment, which is almost guaranteed to hit your checking account pretty hard. You can still buy new from many sources, including major distributors (Mouser, Digikey, etc.).

probably has the best price at $0.21 each (USD) plus S/H. Cheaper if you buy 25 or more. ($20 minimum though)

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Experience: What you get when you don't get what you want
Reply to
DaveM

ElectronicsKB.comhttp://www.electronicskb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/electronics-general/2008...

You've had several replies questioning your motives and intelligence. They obviously don't have any experience with maintaining military or "certified" civil (usually avionics...but includes elevator controllers, medical equipment, etc.) equipment. I'm sorry I can't help you, but keep trying. Its out there somewhere.

Reply to
webpa

Allow me to explain why I want an old 741 Op Amp. I am fully aware of the "improvements" made since the old 741 Op Amp of the 1970's. (First released in 1968.) Here is something you may not be aware of.

It is for an old overdrive pedal for an electric guitar. The new improved 741 Op Amps don't give the pedal the same tone as the older ones. Overdrive is used for distortion and nothing, outside of tubes, distorts like the old

1970's 741 Op Amps in one of these pedals.

Thanks

Comm1 via ElectronicsKB.com

I found them the first place I looked:

Jameco P/N 840763 Mfg NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR Mfg # LM741CN/NOPB

# of Units $US EA

1+ 0.82 10+ 0.60 100+ 0.43
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ElectronicsKB.comhttp://www.electronicskb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/electronics-general/2008...

Comm1 via ElectronicsKB.com

You should have explained that in your first message. Do you need the 8 pin plastic dip? If you are in the US, I could probably dig up some from scrapped boards.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have 9 LM741CN that I found in one of my parts cabinets. I am pretty sure that they are at least 20 years old. You are welcome to them. Send me and address.

Reply to
Dan Coby