Re: Turn a TV into PC

The device that I will sketch vaguely doesn't exist, but if I can imagine=

=A0

it anyone can. > I imagined a similar apparatus to a Converter or Decoder that it could be=

=A0

placed over a television set, with an infrared sensor what would receive =

a =A0

lightly more complicated signal that that of a remote control of TV, sinc=

e =A0

it would come from a wireless standard infrared keyboard for PC, with =A0 > incorporate touchpad to replace the mouse. > Besides the traditional input of video signal by coaxial cable and the =

=A0

output to the TV, this apparatus would have a connection with a PC that =

=A0

could be by means of an UTP cable with connectors RJ-45 for a standard =

=A0

Ethernet 100BaseT LAN network, or by means of the same coaxial cable. > In this way, this device, when connecting the main entrance device (the =

=A0

wireless keyboard with touchpad), to the PC and the television, it would =

=A0

transform to this last one into the Monitor (the main exit device) of a =

=A0

Terminal (without CPU, memory, hard disk neither CD reader), and to the P=

C =A0

into a Server of the LAN that would contribute the whole necessary =A0 > hardware and software. > This device should not be much more expensive that the sum of its main =

=A0

components: a network card, a video card, a power source, a converter =A0 > DAC/ADC, etc. > Due to the notable difference of prices, it is much more common to find =

=A0

more than a TV in the homes that to find more than a PC, for what I =A0 > believe that the potential market is quite big.

Well.. A new 22" Viewsonic LCD TV costs $349.00 at new egg. This week Dell had a brand new dual-core pc with 3 megs of RAM (and a DVD reader/writer drive) and you could get it with a 22" LCD monitor for under $400. I don't quite understand what you are describing but PC's are now so cheap I don't don't think it makes sense as a way of saving money.

-Kevin

And it could be a solution to a quite common problem that one has when =

=A0

somebody wants to use the PC and he/she has to wait their turn because it=

=A0

is being used by another member of the family. > The main difficulty that I considered it is that I think that a great =A0 > political obstacle should exist so that an apparatus like this doesn't =

=A0

exist after more than a decade of presence of the technology that could =

=A0

have made it possible: I thought that their existence would not have been=

=A0

allowed because it would prevent the Big Brother to know exactly who is =

=A0

doing what with the computer. I think that to hinder this surveillance is=

=A0

vital because without privacy there is not freedom, and without freedom =

=A0

the life is not worthwhile. > > -- > Usando el revolucionario cliente de correo de Opera: =A0http://www.opera.=

com/mail/

Reply to
Kevin S.

If the user has a modern flat panel TV with digital inputs or a SVGA RGB connector then *everything* needed to share the main PC is available off the shelf. Just add a Thin Client box with either HDMI, DVI or SVGA output as appropriate for your TV and plug in an infrared keyboard. Network it to the main PC and load the supplied software.

Should have change from $200. I *know* I could set one up for £130 over here.

Not any good for games or serious multimedia because of the poor graphics bandwidth but it will work just fine for normal office applications, web browsing or anything else that isn't trying to render full screen video at cinema frame rates or connect to a USB device that needs wierd drivers :-)

Its a good enough idea that I am going to suggest it to my boss for his home.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
Ian Malcolm