Re: OT! OT! Hard Drive Cloning

Apparently it tries to but doesn't always succeed, as explained here:

Now, what about various backup utilities?

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
-and remove the obvious-

Hi,

Sorry If this is a repeat as I came into the posting late.

I would recomend DFsee as a great disk tool. It has clone resize, fdisk and recover functions and supports most filesystem formats. It will run from DOS off a 1.4M floppy.

It has a 30 day free trial. Download it from hobbes (search for dfsee)

(I have no affiliation with DFsee except as a user.)

Good luck, Bart

wrote in :

I think in modern hard disks the 'bad sectors' are mappen in the firmware of the disk. For the OS it seems like one long range of sector addresses of 512 bytes. The drives perhaps have some flash memory for that?. As far as the extra space goes, I DID copy cat /dev/hda > /dev/hdb, and it worked (with hdb bigger a few GB). You lose the extra space... Maybe a play with fdisk could be done to create an extra partition in this space, but I stopped when it was all working (sold that other system), not worth the risk. JP

Reply to
Nitro