Question on usage of "cold heat" portable soldering iron

I got one of these for Christmas, and am using the crap out of it. One problem: the tip has become coated with flux that doesn't burn away, due to the almost instantaneous cooling of said tip once soldering is completed. This tends to insulate the tip from the wires or whatever you are soldering, or the solder itself, and thereby defeating the instant heat mechanism. How can I clean this stuff off, without damaging the fragile split-tip? It's gotten to the point where I can hardly get it to make electrical contact, and heat up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The device is a gimmick. You've noted one of several design deficiencies.

JeffM

--
Try isopropyl alcohol or:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rls=GFRC,GFRC:2006-50,GFRC:en&q=Solder+flux+remover
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Hey John,

Yes, I just tried some 70% isopropyl alcohol on a rag, and it did the job just fine. Will check out the link though (thanks for that.)

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave