Printer sharing with USB

Dear readers.

The problem. I have two computers, one running windows xt, the other running windows me. They're tied together using windows file and printer sharing in order to share a Lexmark X83 printer(, scanner, copier.) But it does work and this time old uncle Billies windows are not to blame for it. Lexmark themselves told it cannot be done in this combination.

Looking for a solution. Looking for a solution, the old printersharing boxes come to mind. I know both serial- and parallel types but I did not see USB types yet. A little Google learns they nevertheless exist.

The question. So apart from buying one via the internet, can some tell what's in that boxes? Are they simply switching the lines like the old ones did or is do they contain a required lot of intelligence to satisfy the (dis)connected printer(s)? Someone has experience with this type of boxes? Someone ever had build one? I like all information you may supply as I don't like to re-invent existing things.

pieter

(If you want to be sure your posting reaches me, you can mail it as well. I check the groups at least once a day but the newsserver of my provider (Chello that's UPC) too often misses postings even some of the ones I wrote myself. Too bad it's the only broadband provider in my place for the moment.)

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
petrus bitbyter

"petrus bitbyter" wrote in news:bdN5b.49931$ snipped-for-privacy@amsnews02.chello.com:

Then you should buy one (sorry, I guess that's not in the spirit of this group).

Reply to
Joel Moore

"Joel Moore" schreef in bericht news:Xns93ECAA6C618BFasdsadfgasdgadsa@130.81.64.196...

Joel,

I got that idea already like I said in my original posting. Now we're both spilling energy on it.

pieter

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Would it be too simple to just plug into either computer as required? Even if your USB sockets are round the back, it's quite easy after a little practice.

Reply to
Laurence Payne

You could probably make a USB A/B switch. Only 4 lines.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Ethernet Cards are cheap. Why not a network?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Becuase it seems to only be for printing, not the other functions of and all-in-one scanner/printer.

Reply to
Gary Tait