Linear Model - Additive Noise Channel

Greetings,

I am requesting clarification and assistance from the scientific community, if anyone can offer it, on Hioki's, "Telecommunications" Fourth Edition.

If you have a copy of the text, you will have noticed many of the errors, most notably the editors did not catch an error with Ohms law and Joules law on page 12. After that, my confidence in this text was shot, but I am stuck with it for class.

My question is regarding the use of the linear model for Signal out and Noise out Chapter 2.2.3, example 2.11 page 17.

Hioki (and my instructor) have stated that Signal is the combination of the intelligence and noise such that.

So = Signal Out Si = Signal In No = Noise Out Ni = Noise In Ap = Amplification Nr = Noise added by the equipment such as an amplifier

No = Ni * Ap + Nr So = Si * Ap

However, it seems odd that the formula for No is not applied to So. Hioki left off the Nr. Now if Signal includes the Noise, this does not make sense.

Please provide explanation if Hioki is correct. Either way, please provide references to a text I can use to further clarify the situation as this text has absolutely no credibility at this point.

Thank-you, Brian

Reply to
bmchesney