Is really IBM a open source heavy supporter ??

If IBM is a real good supporter of OpenSource, i.e., GNU , then why cannot it expire all its software patents, and support in a real way. so clearly, its enjoying the benefits of Open Source and damaging all other companies, while supporting software patents which is the main opposition for GNU(Richard Stallman,

a.k.a. Open Source). ha, ha :), funny that how GNU is fooled by IBM using money. what i thought was true or false guys ????

-a real open source developer.

Reply to
Sathish Kumar

Having been involved in computers and computer software since the early 60s, I find it very difficult to criticize IBM on the issue of 'open sourcing'.

The very early IBM PCs freely docmented the interface requirements for their computers, and thus founded an entire industry of 3rd party suppliers for graphics cards, audio cards, data acquisition cards, etc.

While their early computers were generally supplied with Microsoft operating systems, they were equally receptive to the instalation of alternative software, including Unix and various other software products.

In my view, GNU has a very serious internal problem if it has difficulty running on IBM iron, since no one else seems to have this problem. In fact, right now I'm running on an IBM clone using Windows XP Pro, on my secondary boot disk I have Red Hat Linux, which runs just fine.

Perhaps you would elaborate on the problems that you are having running GNU on IBM iron. Then too, considering that I've also had many problems running GNU software, perphaps it's simply a GNU faulty design problem? (Recall the problems GNU experienced several years back when advanced graphics/video cards began to be introduced).

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

Harry I think Sathishs point is that IBM sells software not just giving away all it's source, so that other companies can use it free of charge.

Charles

Reply to
Charles W. Johson Jr.

if u think other companies can use it free of charge, then whatz the use of GNU concepts which is established by the great man Mr.Richard Stallman. his main aim is to eradicate close source and software patents and codes should be free among developers or companies or any.. am i right ??

-sathish

Reply to
B.Sathish Kumar