Erasing UV EPROMS in PCB light box...

Hi

Can you erase UV EPROMS in a PCB UV light box? If so, how long do you reckon it'd take? These are 27128s...

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Deblis

Its the wrong wavelength, could take many hours. You can just get the right tubes and fit them into your light box.

Reply to
cbarn24050

I tried putting some Microchip uPs upside down, directly to the tubes on my PCB UV light box. Didn't affect them at all. Had to buy a proper eraser.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

No - wavelength is too long.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Wavelength is likely wrong, but you could give it a try with you particular box to be sure - What's the worst that's gonna happen?

Alternatively, if you're not on a 15 minute burn/debug/reburn cycle, about 3 days in direct sun has always been effective at wiping EPROMs for me in the past.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info

I think the rule is that you should find out how long it takes to erase all the bits, and overkill that exposure 5x.

John

Be careful, the quartz-envelope ones which erase eproms are dangerous to the skin and eyes, and shouldn't be operated in any way that could result in exposure of any people. They can do to an EPROM in 10 minutes what a week of intense sun can barely do, so I wouldn't be surprised if they could give you skin cancer pretty fast also. Also it will not pass very well through glass so the PCB light box may not even erase the eproms. Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

the

give

I ended up buying a ridiculously cheap ($10) piece of Chinese rubbish off eBay on Friday, and it arrived on Saturday. It is possibly the nastiest piece of tat I've seen in a long time (i.e. wires are soldered to the tube pins to save the cost of a socket, horrid bakelite/paper board, terrible soldering etc.), but after some remedial safety work (new mains cable, applying some insulation etc. internally) it did the job brilliantly, for about the same cost a just buying a tube here. Possibly a fire hazard though - I watch it carefully. Chips erase in about 15 minutes.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Deblis

hi there

I found that you could use a barber's sizzor and comb sterilizzer box this will do them in about 15 mins

actually its big enough to do HEAPS at once . and also i got it for free because it was about to be thrown out ,so I dont know what a new one is worth !

Bye ..... Nigel P

Reply to
NigelP