Dual trace on single trace oscilloscope?

Sometime in the dim and distant past I remember seeing a DIY circuit that would allow two channels to be displayed, presumably by switching rapidly from one to the other. Has anyone tried this and does it work!? If so can you give a web-page address, please?

--
John
Reply to

Yes, there have been a number of switch designs to provide "chopped" access to the single scope input. If the signal bandwidth is low enough and the switch "chop" speed is high enough, it can be used - but primarily for audio signals.

More about me:

VB3/VB6/C/PowerBasic source code:
Freeware for the Palm with NS Basic source code:
Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras:
Email here:

the Wiz

See explanation and diagrams here:

More about me:

VB3/VB6/C/PowerBasic source code:
Freeware for the Palm with NS Basic source code:
Drivers for Pablo graphics tablet and JamCam cameras:
Email here:

the Wiz

You should be able to do it with chopping or switching once per scan. I've used dual trace scopes which have a toggle switch to alternate that behaviour. I guess you need a scope with a sync output for that to work which might be quite unlikely on a low-end scope. However, it would require much lower swithcing bandwidth.

One would need to add in a switch so you can route one or the other signals in to the oscilloscope's sync input. If it has a seperate sync input, of course.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)       (er258)(@)(eng.cam)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5/m
{moveto}d -1 r 230 350 m 0 1 179{1 index show 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}
for /s 15 d f pop 240 420 m 0 1 3 { 4 2 1 r sub -1 r show } for showpage
Reply to
E. Rosten

As cheap as dual trace scopes are now days, why not buy one? If you're hurting for cash, some older single trace scopes are DIRT cheap. You could buy two, sometimes for $15 - $20 total.

access to

switch

signals.

Reply to