BFM, Maybe Gen.

I scrounged this big F'ing motor out of the trash bin, looks like it was a drive motor for a big copier or old mainframe reel to reel tape drive. It has a grooved belt pulley on one end of the shaft, maybe

1.5" in diameter. The other end of the shaft has a big flywheel, maybe 7 or 8" inches weighing several pounds and the whole motor weighs maybe 30 pounds (13kg). Says 3560 RPM or something like that. The end with the pulley has what looks like a tachometer on it. I left it in my truck, since it's big (more like long and only 4" in diameter) and heavy.

It takes 124VDC, yeah, DC, at 16.6 AMPS or something like that. I have no idea why it has to be DC, since it's obviously from some big heavy stationary equipment. After all, one can get different speeds from an AC motor. Maybe it has to be continuously variable speed. In any case, my thoughts were that it would make a great generator if it has permanent magnets in it. I haven't had a chance to check it out, or put a meter on it to see if it generates. That'll come later. Maybe if I get a chance I'll take a pic and post it to ABSE. I'm just wondering if anyone has worked with something like this, and if it will make a decent generator.

Reply to
Watson A.Name

Any brushed DC motor can be used as a generator. If you want a DC generator, this motor will do the job. I would recommend checking the condition of the brushes and commutator.

BRW

Reply to
Bennet Williams

Easy variable-speed control of AC motors has only come recently, and there are still a lot of brushed DC motors sold because of their ease of use.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Well, yes, but some are easier than others. A series wound motor could be used as a generator but driving the field could be interesting.

How may terminals does it have? (and if more than 2 are the the same size?)

Given the description I doubt that it's series wound but it might be shunt wound.

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

Williams

A.Name)

big

speeds

In

it

out,

just

the

could

It has two heavy (16ga?) wires, a red and a black.

What? Series? Shunt? A permanent magnet motor has only one winding!

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Well, you didn't mention that you already knew it was a PM motor :). A two terminal motor could be either PM or series wound. Given the voltage and current rating, and the fact that the leads are different colours I would strongly suspect PM.

A series wound motor with 2 terminals is commonly used for pump motors (the field is wired to the armature internally eliminating 2 of the usual terminals from what would atherwise be a four terminal motor, brushed DC motors come in variations from two terminals to six terminals at least). They have the advantage of not needed extra jumper wiring and they cannot be hooked up backwards. No matter which polarity you hook the 2 terminals up in the motor always rotates in the same direction.

And to be picky a PM motor has multiple windings, that's what the commutator and brushes are for, to switch between windings. But you already knew that ;)

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

\"Watt

some

same

be

winding!

voltage

usual

DC

least).

cannot

terminals

Yeah, but a shunt wound motor could be connected internally with only two leads externally. I forget which kind a vacuum motor is but I remember that one kind isn't used for some things because it can rev up excessively if there's no load, so it's usually used for something like a vacuum that has impellers permanently attached. Been a long time, tho, so I'm not sure. Generally tho the vacuums have only two wires.

Anyway, I'll have to investigate further to see what this beasty really is. It's heavy, so it's gonna stay in my garage. Maybe I'll put a light bulb on the leads and give it a spin to see what happens. Thanks.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Haven't run across that configuration (that would run in the same direction regardless of polarity as well), all the shunt wound motors I've seen were done that way for speed and/or torque control so the fiels and armature sections were separately controllable. The universal appliance motors i've seen (only a few) have all been series wound. The larger series wound motors I've dealt with have had enough physical (as opposed to electrical) resistance that runaway was not a practical problem, not that I was tempted to rely on that often.

Or short it and see if you get a braking effect.

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

you

only

up

like

wires.

universal

The

Yeah, I believe series wound is the one that can rev up real high. My dad knew a guy who had more muscle than brains, who took an old vacuum cleaner motor and put an old saw blade on the end of the shaft. Made himself a great edger, back before the days of the weed whackers. Thing made a nasty hissing sound. Threw some nasty sparks, too.

really

Thanks.

Yeah, I took a 327 (28V) lamp and some alli clips out to the garage and connected them to the wires and gave it a spin. The lamp lit up amber, probably 10 or 12V at .04 A or so. That's pretty decent for the hundred or two RPMs I can spin the flywheel.

Here's what the nameplate said on it.

Pacific Scientific Automation Technology Group Motor Products Div.

Model Number PWM3636-5250-7-1 Volts 124VDC Amps 16.8 H.P. 2.3 RPM 3590 Duty CONT

And here's the dead giveaway: Field Class: PM

I had suspected that it was PM - permanent magnet, because I could feel the poles of the armature pulling on the magnets as I spun it.

I took some pics, I'll have to post some of them on ABSE after I get them out of my digi-cam.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

That's a winner. I have one of somewhat smaller size. Name plate says McMILLAN Electric Company Model S3348B2716 DP FITNESS P/N 37073300 120 VDC 6.0AMP Insulation Class 130-2(B) WOODVILLE, WI 54028

I haven't done curves on it yet, but like you I put a lamp (#47) and spun it by hand. Lit up nicely! So I get over 6VDC at only a couple hundred RPM. Should make a fine wind charger.

Reply to
Clarence

wrote in

the

But

rev

something

time,

motors

the

wound.

physical

practical

My

vacuum

Made

Thing

put a

and

amber,

hundred

feel

spun it by

RPM. Should

I doubt if I'll ever get a chance to use it unless I put it on an exercise bike. The amount of power needed to spin it means it'll have to have a substantial set of blades. And it needs to be geared up (or more appropriately, pulleyed up) so that it'll spin several times as fas t as the blades. The flywheel probably doesn't serve any purpose and isn't needed, and could be left off. Maybe I'll sell it. Your motor seems like it might be from some exercize bike??

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

It was from a Tread mill. Bought it for a wind genny. Only need a 12/1 pulley up to get about 4 amps at 12 volts. Just have to put the front end regulator on it for current limiting. I'm guessing about a 6 foot rotator will drive it. Of course in a real blow it can produce much more power. The rating is for 720 watts so it is about the same as a car alternator, but at lower RPM. Use in town is unlikely. I have a cabin in the desert.

Yours will do well to, if you pulley it up and use a larger rotator (prop) for it. Problem is where to put it. Although I would see it as more useful for marine battery charging with a 16 inch prop towed on a torque line to charge batteries on a crusing sail boat. Might be able to sell it to someone who has a good sized boat.

Reply to
Clarence

In article , Watson A.Name wrote: [...]

It sounds like the motor a friend of mine used in a wind powered battery charger. He built a wind mill that doesn't get anything like 3600 RPM on the motor, but does make more than 24V in weak winds. I designed and build a charger/regulator for it so his battery pack could be kept topped up.

It works quite well. In his location it is either sunny or windy or both but never neither. As a result a combined wind, solar system keeps the battery charged.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

just

battery

on

topped

both

the

Well, at least half the day it's not sunny - it'c called night.

As for wind, it's likely that at night there are periods of no wind. See, when you think about it, if what you said was true, then there would be no need for the battery. :-0

With no field winding, I'm not sure how easy it is to regulate the charging. I'd just disconnect it from the battery and switch a load on the output.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th