help! I need to get current from Heat.

Hey People, I hope one of you can help.

I need a way to generate current (low voltage) from a fairly constant heat source. Probably need about 3 watts. The heat will be around 200 degrees F., maybe hotter, but always fairly constant. I've been told about, and have done some reading, on thermocouples and, I understand that many thermocouples, are called a thermopyile (pile?), but, my problem is that I can't find anything that generates anything more in output than milliamps, like, 20. (I'm not stuck on thermocouple technology either.)

Can anyone help? I'd be VERY appreciative. p.s. (don't say steam...thnx)

Feel free to e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Raymond

For this technology what you will find is what is available. You would have to use a lot of these, and put them in the proper series parallel configuration as if they were small batteries. You will need a lot of them to have any appreciable current. This is why they are not very popular.

Check the temperature ratings of these. I think that 200 F may be at the very bottom of where these start to work.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG ========================================= WebPage

Electronics

I need a way to generate current (low voltage) from a fairly constant heat source. Probably need about 3 watts. The heat will be around 200 degrees F., maybe hotter, but always fairly constant. I've been told about, and have done some reading, on thermocouples and, I understand that many thermocouples, are called a thermopyile (pile?), but, my problem is that I can't find anything that generates anything more in output than milliamps, like, 20. (I'm not stuck on thermocouple technology either.)

Can anyone help? I'd be VERY appreciative. p.s. (don't say steam...thnx)

Feel free to e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Jerry G.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

How about a Peltier element? They can generate current from heat, if you keep one side cool.

Reply to
Gary Tait

It would help if we knew what you wanted the electrical power produced for? We might be able to suggest ways to achiave the same result with less power.

Reply to
CWatters

Not so long ago, I got some of these from BG Micro.

:)

-A

Reply to
Andre

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com mentioned...

Here's a system.

Asking for email is rude.

--
@@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@
###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com mentioned...

Not entirely true, see

-- @@F@r@o@m@@O@r@a@n@g@e@@C@o@u@n@t@y@,@@C@a@l@,@@w@h@e@r@e@@ ###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS? Check HERE First:###

My email address is whitelisted. *All* email sent to it goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the Subject: line with other stuff. alondra101 hotmail.com Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers. Go to the URL that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
You'll be glad you did! Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't changed it:

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, Dar

Oh come on. He didn't say he'd prefer email. He just said "feel free to email me". As in "if you don't want to clutter up the newsgroup with chit chat you can send me email instead".

What really would be impolite would be if we never heard from him again ;-)

Reply to
CWatters

Within the past year or two Circuit Cellar did an article on using a Peltier device that way. Ah! I was wrong; it was the December 1999 issue (#113). "Generating Thermoelectric Power" by Randy Heisch.

Reply to
Michael