What CPU for Quartus II?

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has benchmarked contemporary high-end desktop processors -- Athlon, Opteron and P4/Xeon basically -- for which is better to do Quartus II synthesis?

-hpa

--
 at work,  in private!
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.

Hi Peter,

I haven't formally benchmarked it, but for my Nios compiles with take about

80% of the memory and 50% of the LE's of the big Cyclone (so about 10k) the P4's seem to do well.

What takes 25+ minutes on my 1GHz PIII takes less than 5 on my 3.2GHz P4 or even a 2.4GHz.

One thing that seems true no matter the processor is the memory. QII needs lots of fast memory. I only have 500MB in these machines and it could clearly use more.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Land