True Random Number Gen in Virtex 7

Has anybody tried to build a true random number generator from Catalin Baetoniu's paper?

He uses interconnected ring oscillators in conjunction with a "Linear Hybrid Cellular Automata" for making the distribution more uniform.

I built this in a Virtex 7 to use in the lab for hardware testing. I had to instantiate the LUTs for the ring oscillator and put DONT_TOUCHes on them.

I just wondered if anyone else had tried this. It's difficult to tell "how random" the numbers really are without extensive analysis. I noticed Xilinx has a patent based on this paper, but I didn't know you could patent ring oscillators.

Reply to
Kevin Neilson

Ring oscillators to generate -- or at least seed -- random numbers isn't new. If there's a patent there, they're probably trying to make a real or perceived barrier to people doing it with an Altera part.

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work!  See my website if you're interested

afaict patents have become something big companies have as ammunition again st small guys: try to enter the market and will bury you in lawsuits and protection against other big companies: don't sue us will sue you right back and we'll both waste money

Reply to
lasselangwadtchristensen

Yes, the USPTO has become something of a captive regulator to the big- money interests.