slimming down ISE install

Just installed ISE webpack 13.3 on my laptop and things are getting a bit tight space-wise - a lot of space (several gb) appears to be used by files for device families I'll never use, but removing the dirs makes the software bork.

There's presumably a file/dir list somewhere telling it what to look for - has anyone figured out where this is ?

Removing the EDK dir is the only thing I've found so far that appears not to break anything

Reply to
Mike Harrison

tight space-wise - a lot

never use, but removing

anyone figured out

break anything

If you spend more than an hour for slimming down the installation, it is cheaper to buy an external hard disk.

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
piano and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

Agreed. I have both ISE and Quartus installed on a 16G pen drive. Under Linux I just bind it to /opt and everything's happy. Surprisingly it doesn't seem to hurt performance noticeably either.

Reply to
Mittens

On the all-too-small SSD in my laptop, I have enabled the built-in transparent folder compression in Windows for the Xilinx folder. This reduces the size of the ISE 10.1 (old, I know) installation from 9.4GB to 5.6GB. I expect something similar could be done on Linux.

I didn't measure the impact on performance, but since synthesis and P&R are mainly CPU intensive, not disk I/O intensive, I've assumed it is not significant.

Regards,

Laust

Reply to
Laust Brock-Nannestad