RISCWatch w/ Linux running on ppc405D: Virtual/Physical mem issues

Hello,

I have been using the Riscwatch box w/ RISCwatch ver. 5.1 software. I am running Linux on our embedded PPC405D. The trace captures the instructions with their virtual addresses. However, when an interrupt is detected, the processor uses the physical addresses, at which point Riscwatch complains it is "not configured" to read those addresses. I suspect that it thinks that the physical address is virtual, so when it goes into the TLB and/or page table for the translation, it can't find it since there isn't obviously a translation. In other words, I think that Riscwatch should switch to real mode instead at that point. How can configure RISCwatch to access those interrupt address locations that need physical address? Anyone encountered this problem and found a way around it? I e-mailed IBM about it, but haven't gotten a response yet...

Thanks,

NN

Reply to
Nju Njoroge

The most common solution to this problem is to use an Abatron BDI2000 instead...

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de
"More software projects have gone awry for lack of calendar time than
for all other causes combined."
                         - Fred Brooks, Jr., _The Mythical Man Month_
Reply to
Wolfgang Denk

Thanks. I looked into this solution. While it does handle the translation while debugging, I'm looking to capture a trace output on file so I can do post-processing statistical analysis on it w/ gprof (i.e convert the trace output files into a gmon.out file). What I would like to know is if there is a command/mechanism within RISCWatch that could tell it for a certain address range not to access the TLB or turn off the TLB...This would help in the case of interrupts since Linux uses their physical addresses. RISCWatch seems to be passing these physical addresses to the TLB for translation, which is causing the errors I'm seeing. Perhaps I am asking too much from the tools :)

Reply to
Nju Njoroge