Resources on FPGA wanted...

I am an M.Sc. Instrumentation Science student in Univ. of Pune,India. I am supposed to cover six 1/2 hr. seminars on FPGAs & CPLDs. I would like to know more infromation about what an FPGA or CPLD comprises of completely. If you know of any such resource/white paper, pls reply here or mail me at : snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com I am covering VHDL, Desigin considerations for FPGAs and its Boards, and a few case studies. If you have any info. regarding this pls reply or mail me.

Reply to
Amit Olkar

The best way to learn this stuff is to buy a couple of small CPLD chips like the Xilinx XC9536 or the Altera EPM7064, design and make a small PCB with the chip, a clock, programming interface and breadboarding area, buy or make a programming adapter, download the free development software provided by Xilinx and Altera and start playing with it. It'll only take a day or two to get started and you'll learn far more than just reading about it. I've got one or two designs on my web site that will help you get started.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Try looking at the material located at:

This might be a good start. Eric

Amit Olkar wrote:

Reply to
Eric Crabill

I think one very accessible and good starting point would be to read the data-sheets of some the FPGA and CPLD families offered by Altera and Xilinx. These two companies are the big players in the market and together, I think they sell more than 90% of all FPGAs and CPLDs. For each family of their devices they have one big data-sheet that reviews the whole architecture of the device with details of the logic-cells, the routing and I/O pins. These data-sheets are freely available from both companies websites.

Reply to
Arash Salarian