Patient Monitors: Reading RS232 output w/ an FPGA

We currently use a software application (called DataCaptor) to read the MIB-RS232 output of a patient monitor (the Philips MP30). We are considering replacing the DataCaptor software with an FPGA but this has probably never been attempted.

Does anyone have any experience interfacing an FPGA to patient monitors?

Thank you.

Reply to
Mark

Mark schrieb:

MIB-RS232 output of a patient monitor (the Philips MP30). We are considering replacing the DataCaptor software with an FPGA but this has probably never been attempted.

While an FPGA is more fun, a uC ist probably a lot more useful unless another part of your application requires an FPGA.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
Kolja Sulimma

MIB-RS232 output of a patient monitor (the Philips MP30). We are considering replacing the DataCaptor software with an FPGA but this has probably never been attempted.

I'm not quite sure how you can replace software ("DataCaptor software application") with hardware (the FPGA).

Perhaps you can rephrase this?

=a

Reply to
Andy Peters

Assuming the data monitor serial protocol is not terribly complicated, it is fairly easy to write FPGA code that will send commands, and handle responses and returned data. On the other hand, it is not real clear in this case how this is intended to be used. And it might be a bit more involved proving to whoever that it meets patient safety criteria (I'm assuming some such thing will be required).

Reply to
Duane Clark

Looks like there might be a few fussy regulations.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Thank you all for your replies. The DataCaptor software sends and receives commands, and receives data, in a server-client setup. The idea of using a microcontroller is a good one, thank you Kolja. The other sections of our circuitry are amenable to this as well: some mathematical calculations, a decoder for a 7-segment display, and (perhaps) interfacing to a LAN. Perfect. No FPGA required!

Mike: Was there a certain aspect of that document I should be looking at? (We have FDA approval for the current version, and hence, in Figure 1, have come full circle to left-most arrow pointing up.)

Best regards,

Mark

Reply to
Mark