Oberon Operating System + Compiler + Graphic on a Spartan 3 FPGA

Hi folks,

Professor Wirth, some may know his name as the inventor of Pascal and Oberon etc., has published recently, together with Jürg Gutknecht and Paul Reed, an exciting project at:

Its a complete computer including a graphical operating system in a small FPGA.

Its including all sources in Oberon and Verilog! The complete Oberon Code has less then 10000 lines, including the Compiler!

The team has also developed his own RISC processor design, called RISC5. Its running on a Spartan 3 eval. board. I have tested it, an it really works! A picture of my personal system at:

Regards

Markus

MGreim

Very cool. What is the daughter board for? If its just PS/2 mouse and SD card connector, I have some more sophisticated Xilinx eval boards with those already on them. It might not be too hard to get it running on one of them.

Rupert

Reply to
rupertlssmith

Reply to
Robert F. Jarnot

small

card connector, I have some more sophisticated Xilinx eval boards with those already on them. It might not be too hard to get it running on one of them.

Rupert, yes the daugtherboard has only a connector for the Mouse and a SD card holder with a SD for the file system.

Markus

MGreim

It has now been ported to a Pipistrello Spartan 6 board by Saanlima Electronics. See the Project Oberon forum discussion at:

Chris Burrows CFB Software

cfbsoftware