FPGA configuration download - How is it done?

Hello everybody,

I am trying to gain a deeper understanding of the way an FPGA is programmed.

For SRAM based FPGAs, I know the configuration is loaded either by row, column or frame.

But how exactaly are the SRAM cells programmed?

Are they part of a long shift register, which is filled in by the configuration bitstream?

Or is there something I am missing?

If there is any paper or article describing this, I'd be glad if anyone could point it out to me.

I realize that, for manufacturers, this might be proprietry information, but surely there's some work out there describing the process?

Thank you very much for your help.

Reply to
Nick

Try