Board Opinions TS7300

Ran across this board the other day, was wondering if anyone has any experiences with it, good or bad.

Also, not really being too experiences in sizing yet, would something like this be big enough for a complete system, using a leon sparc or similar sized core?

it seems to have the basic features i want, ethernet, vga, serial, ram, reasonable cost, etc.. But if it is too small to be useable for SOC type projects, it wont help me much.

ziggy

The Altera 2C8 that is on that board is relatively small. I have not found an accurate size for Leon but it is likely to use a large percentage of that chip.

There also appears to be a very limited I/O capability in/out of the FPGA.

Both factors will limit any SOC projects.

If it is mainly a FPGA you want out of a board then there is a list of boards here

including our own products. This list isn't totally comprehensive but is the best I have seen in one place.

Alternatively tell the group what attracts you to the board you started looking at and someone may suggest a better match for your requirements.

John Adair Enterpo> Ran across this board the other day, was wondering if anyone has any

Reply to
John Adair

Tks, ill steer clear due to its size. I have learned to recognize xilinx sizes, but not altera. If it wont comfortably fit a leon ( the largest plan i have ) + support cores then it wont be of much good even if it did have ethernet and CF. ( plus the standard, VGA, serial, ram )

While asking the group sounds like a good idea, the last time i tried something like that around here i was told to goto hell and do it myself.

Reply to
ziggy

Most people on the group are usually fairly helpful if not faced by silly questions. You my been unluckly last time with responders.

If you are looking at doing things like ethernet or processors then you do want to watch the size of part you want. Simple uarts don't take much usually. If you want to compare Xilinx and Altera part sizes then I usually convert both in flip-flops and luts as a first line comparative measure and then weigh up the minor details.

Sometimes parts like the Virtex-4 FX12 distort the equation. We use this in customer products because it has a PowerPC and 2 gigabit MACs as hard logic with a reasonable balance of FPGA logic left for anything else. It is one the best value parts outside the Spartan etc arena and doesn't cost a fortune.

Some of the silicon vendors like Xilinx have datsheets for IP that indicate size so worth looking them up to get an idea of what you might need. As usual play safe and add a margin to whatever numbers you find.

John Adair Enterpo> >

Reply to
John Adair