Upgradeable laptop for everyman?

I realize that there are luggable computers of various ilks, but I'm not looking for that. Besides, most of them are outrageous in cost. I'm talking about something that would be no more expensive than a laptop/notebook. I'm wondering whether anything exists that could be taken to class and used on your typical school desk, but which won't be a dispos-o-PC in two years (or less)? I can imagine why laptop and notebook manufacturers aren't much interested in upgradeability (they'd rather sell us all replacement laptops and notebooks every two years or less), but doesn't SOMEBODY make a reasonably priced luggable case that would fit the bill?

TIA

Reply to
Sporkman