Terminologies used in oscilloscope performance testing/calibration

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me either via explanation or by referring me to a proper site to understand more about this issue :

  1. What is the difference between the term frequency response and bandwidth in term of testing/calibration oscilloscopes?

Some UUT manuals refer to the term as frequency response, whereas some call it bandwidth. Is it the same thing? While the standard reference manual call it frequency response.

  1. What does it mean by pulse, rise time, trigger sensitivity? Do they necessarily means the same thing?

I highly appreciate any helps or reference on this matter.

Thank you, Nadhra

Reply to
nadhra

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:8ed8173d-b377-4e15-9036- snipped-for-privacy@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

No difference. BW= freq response. typically spec'd for a -3db drop from reference amplitude.(Ref usually 5 or

6 major div ampl.) Ref frequency may be 50Khz,or IIRC,6 Mhz.(TEK SG503 or SG504) AC coupling low freq response has to be checked,too,using a LF signal generator.

"rise time" is the time in ns or us between the leading edge passing through 10% amplitude and 90% amplitude points. Usually,the graticule has markings to aid in this measurement.

"pulse" probably refers to aberrations on the front corner of a displayed fast rise pulse(spikes,ringing). typically spec'd as +/- X minor div for a Y amplitude display. your generator has to have good specs on it's pulse aberrations for this measurement.

"trigger sensitivity" is the displayed or input signal level where you can achieve solid triggering,usually specified in mv or X minor divs of display amplitude.There's internal trig sensitivity and external input trig sensitivity.

For standards,you want at least 4 times better specs than the unit under test.(UUT)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Don't do this.

If you MUST post the *same* question to MULTIPLE groups, use this technique:

*-*-*-marked-as-Read-in-ALL-*-groups+Newsgroups.line

Reply to
JeffM