Q: lamp dimmer / AC transformer

Hi all, I'm trying to make a variable dimmer for a 6 volt, 5 amp incandescent lamp ( microscope illuminator). Tried regulated variable DC sources, but at 5 amps they're not very efficient , ..huge and hot heatsinks! Was wondering if it might be a little more efficient ( size and heat) to use a standard triac based lamp dimmer on the input of a

120:6.3V @ ~8A transformer? Does the chopped waveform have any adverse effects on the transformer? Does it need some sort of smoothing? I do have a huge variac, but again, I'm trying to keep this PSU as small as possible. Thanks in advance!
Reply to
LeucoB

Oops! nevermind.. a blonde moment! I'll use a triac circuit ( dimmer variation with a lower V diac) on the output of the Xformer.

Reply to
LeucoB

and... I would use a small transformer that my children use to use (one more "use" for fun) to control the speed of small electric trains. Very much like an inexpensive (very sheep) Variac. Many taps and a rotary switch.

Vlad

Reply to
Vlad

Reply to