Is a USB to GPIB dongle/convertor a difficult project ?

Still, no parallel interface at that time could have run the length of a steel mill with any speed.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

With that big motor it may well have been drum instead of disk. The largest disks that i have heard of were 24 inches. Doesn't mean that there weren't larger.

Reply to
JosephKK

True. I just wanted to say that they did it serially and it worked.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

There were drums with that capacity, but this was a custom designed disk drive built by Westinghouse and sold to a couple dozen heavy industry customers, worldwide. A friend of mine was an ET at that mill and helped dismantle it, after it was decommissioned. One of the biggest problems was the horrible seek times. They got the new computer system on line. just in time, because the disk crashed during the changeover.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Probably it is not a difficult project- but, I don't think one can make on that easily- NI has probably patented all of its hardware. But, then, don't know how prologix is able to make it

-

Message posted using

More information at

sciembrace

"sciembrace" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com...

Hi all,

Just for your information we have just developped and commercialized a new low cost USB/GPIB interface, nicknamed smart488 (well, more information at

but my goal here is not to promote it but to answer to the OP...). On the hardware side such a project is not that difficult. We haven't used a FTDI chip plus a microcontroller as Prologix did, but a single USB-enabled microcontroller (a Microchip 18F4550), which allows us to build a more compact device and to simplify advanced firmware features like firmware download through USB and no driver required on the PC side. However the firmware side for such a project is far more complex. GPIB basics are quite easy to understand as long as you buy the IEEE488 specs, but making such an interface compatible with a significant number of GPIB equipments is not that easy. If you develop such a product yourself take care of the EOI subtilities in particular...

Friendly yours, Robert

Robert Lacoste

No pun intended, Robert, but the Prologix over here seems to be cheaper than the the price your French distributor charges:

versus

But I guess that's because the USD/Euro exchange rate has pretty much flipped around within a couple years. Is there a chance your adapter will be marketed in the US anytime soon?

For future versions you might want to consider a separate USB cable like on the Prologix. The main reason is that large analyzers must often be pushed close to the wall because of their depth. That requires a USB connector so you can insert one of those right angle adapters and then the USB cable. Otherwise there is a chance the USB cable will be bent at too sharp a radius or even hit the wall.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

"Joerg" a écrit dans le message de news: nbmSj.13931$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com...

Hi Joerg,

Yes, we hope that the US$ will be higher soon... and I think we are not alone to have the same hope over the world ;+). A 60% increase of the $US to Eur exchange rate in a couple of years is not really understandable, at least by an engineer !

As soon as a distributor will ring us ;;+).

We hesitated twice between the option of a fixed USB cable and the use of a standard type-B USB connector. We finally decided that the fixed cable option was better just because it is more reliable. You're right, cable may be deteriorated, but we didn't want to have the risk of disconnected type-B connectors behind a pile of a dozen heavy equipments... Moreover the built in cable allowed us to have drastically better EMC results...

Cheers, Robert

Reply to
Robert Lacoste

It is an over-reaction and might be turning around now but who knows. It's even less understandable in view of inflation levels in Europe. I thought they must be higher here but yesterday we had an article in the morning paper about a French couple just outside of Paris. Even the bread price had been raised three times already this year. Both working. They had a combined annual net income of around 40000 Euros and lived frugally but ran into overdraft on their bank account every month.

I still miss the cheese section of the Carrefour supermarket ...

If they find it. HPIB isn't a hot bus anymore, you might have to ring them instead of waiting. Or as one family here put it when their daughter was considering not going to a certain party: Mr. Nice Guy isn't going to come along on a white horse anymore these days. She found Mr. Nice Guy on that party and they are getting married ;-)

Yes, EMC is a pain with USB. Loose connector aren't such a problem. Happens all the time. Did I plug in that BNC? Oh no ... move that freaking heavy HP4191 back out, plug in, push it back, take pain pill before the sciatic nerve flares up again.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg a écrit :

Uhhh?

So you don't know what real good cheese is then.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Well, I haven't been in one in a decade or so but back then they had a huge selection. In the US we can't get really good camembert or brie because of the pasteurization requirement.

Of course, even in France I preferred the little fromage shops. That's where the really good stuff could be had. Where you take a bite of brie and your respiratory system stalls for a second.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

All the basic patents on GPIB have run out long ago, they belonged to HP anyway. Even the NI patents (relating to IEEE-488.2) are getting long in tooth. (about 15 years old) The converter is not particularly hard, but you will have to learn IEEE-488 etc. well to make it.

Reply to
JosephKK

Has anyone tried this interface from Australia?

He sells them on ebay at auction, or BIN @ US$55 + US$15 internationa shipping. I have just bought one using my £5 redemption code for a tota price of US$60.38 (£31.36). A bargain if it works ok

-

Message posted using

More information at