Car Alternator as Human Powered Generator

: > : > : > "A prime example of true British Thinking!" : >

: > : > : > Cubic meters? How about cubic "cubits?" : > : > : That one went over my head : > : > A Cubit is about 18 inches, so a cubic Cubit would be about a : > : > quarter the volume of a cubic meter. (See conversions) Not : > : > likely a single ox would produce a large volume of Methane gas : > : > what you could meter in cu Meters! : > : >

: > : > Looses a lot in translation! : > : : > : It certainly does because that one went over my head as well. : > : : > : yes I would have thought that as it was cubic meters initially : > : then it would be more correct to quote a cubit to be slightly : > : over 457 mm. I suspect the volume would be the same whether : > : measured in cubic meters or cubic cubits or maybe some other : > : antiquated units like cubic inches, cubic feet or maybe : > : cubic furlongs is to your taste. :) : >

: > A meter is 39.3700787 inch so 18 about inches is close enough for : > government work! : > Cubic Chains "Or" Fathoms, I use them all! They are all valid. : > Like "Stones" in England! : >

: > The point was that the "British Thinking" is over stated in grand : > terms and about manure! : I still don't see it :) : : > I see that implied humor does not play well on the news group : > unless you add (:>) to every instance! So the reader knows to : > expect some obscure humor or innuendo! : : Implied humor worked fine for me in all the posts. : : As a user of "stones" I find it kind of hard to measure volume with it.

If you agree that "stones" are a legitimate unit of measure, you got it. I did not suggest that you could convert Cubic measure to stones, rather that all are legitimate units!

I find it interesting that many people read into the posts much which is not stated in the post nor even implied!

Reply to
Roger Gt

Well, I know there's more than 8 cubic cubits in a stere.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@armory.com:

Steve,

I am not sure what your question is about valves. The exhaust valves are just like any other engine valve operated from a camshaft.

Detroit Diesel is a 2 cycle diesel engine. Detroit Diesel is a division of General Motors. Hence the nick names of GMC Diesel and Jimmy Diesel. There are a few others but can't remember what they are. The GMC engines are designed to be worked hard. If you baby them, there will be all manner of issues like oil consumption, fuel dilution, etc. There are many divisions of GM Corp.

Rich.Andrews

Well if they didn't there would be no expansion of the threads and the humour would be non-existant.

Reply to
Mjolinor

-------------------------- Okay, I had heard the Detroit had leaf air-input valves like a silly lawn mower. If it has regular valves, still, doesn't the valve timing prevent it from running backwards?

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!

but

ground,

about

it

this!

engines.

53

equiment

were

serves

R-50.)

start

didn't

on

since

are

engines

many

Not all designs of two stroke engine will run backwards but some will. I don't know why they should spew smoke out the inlet though.

They will run backwards if forced because the valves are timed by the movement of the piston not the rotation of the crankshaft. The piston goes up and down the same irrespective of the rotation direction of the crankshaft. The Villiers 11E two stroke engine used a reversing starter motor to start the engine the other way round for reverse on the little blue disabled vehicles you used to see around the UK.

Reply to
Mjolinor

---------------- How in the world is THAT achieved?? Valves are timed by the crankshaft! They fire on the exhaust-intake stroke?? How do they get enough pressure with those valves open?

------------------ Yes, but the valves have to work the same.

---------------------- Ah, I see, you just mean that it will "diesel" backwards a few turns and that the injectors will also run backwards! That would explain it somewhat, but I'm surprised you can actually get any power out of a Detroit that way.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!
http://www.armory.com/~rstevew or http://www.armory.com/~rstevew/Public
Reply to
R. Steve Walz

Indeed, this type of energy generation is more often used than for this particular purpose. Thus, try to look elsewhere for solutions.

But a car alternator is a bad choice for reasons of efficiency, as they are designed for lower efficiency at higher RPM to prevent overcurrent - and for low cost. A permanent magnet motor will be a lot better.

And, solar will always give some power during daytime, even if there is 'no sunshine'.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

cylinders.

GMC,

supercharger.

the

the

sure

it

and

gear

off,

on

there

legend

boasts

and

rather

as

is

that

it

the

marked

require

valves

division

Diesel.

are

blue

The valves on a two stroke angine are not allways controlled by the crankshaft. They are in some engines but in some engines the valves are opened and closed as the piston moved past an opening in the side of the cylinder. They tend not to be called "valves" but are more normally known as "ports" but the job they do is to allow fuel air mix into the combustion chamber and to allow burnt gases out of the exhaust. Because the opening and closing of these "valves" is related to piston, not crankshaft, the engine doesn't mind which way it goes and it has to be started in the right direction.

Reply to
Mjolinor

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@armory.com:

Steve,

Power is greatly diminished for a variety of reasons when the engine is running backwards. The injectors running backwards? Many injectors are operated by a cam and pushrod.

Here is a diagram that shows the 2 cycle diesel engine in action.

Rich.Andrews

Stepper motoors can be used as well They act loke altenators. Another idea is to wind power I have seen this down with vertical wings on a frame that could drive the alternator?

Reply to
Scott Wiper

: Well, I know there's more than 8 cubic cubits in a stere. : Cheers! Rich :

1 stere = 6.9444444 cubic cubit [ancient egypt]
Reply to
Roger Gt

That moving diagram is wrong. An engine like that wouldn't run unless there is a supercharger on it providing greater than atmoshperic pressure in the crankcase. The primary inlet should be closed by some means as the piston starts to descend.

Reply to
Mjolinor

According to my crossword puzzle dictionary, a stere is equal to one cubic meter. Since a meter is 39.37 inches, and a cubit is 18, well, just off the top of your head: one cube just over a yard, and one cube 1/2 yard on an edge, that's a volume of 1 cu. yd+ vs. (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2), or 1/8 cu. yd. Ergo, more than 8 cubic cubits in a stere. I guess I was talking about the modern stere, or something.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I thought a stere was an American bovine

Reply to
Mjolinor

Close... An American bovine that has had its testicles removed and replaced with a minor spelling problem. :)

-- Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004. I respond to Email as quick as humanly possible. If you Email me and get no response, see Short form: I'm trashing EVERYTHING that doesn't contain a password in the subject.

Reply to
Don Bruder

: > : > : Well, I know there's more than 8 cubic cubits in a stere. : > : Cheers! Rich : > : : >

: >

: > 1 stere = 6.9444444 cubic cubit [ancient egypt] : >

: >

: According to my crossword puzzle dictionary, a stere is equal to one : cubic meter. Since a meter is 39.37 inches, and a cubit is 18, well, : just off the top of your head: one cube just over a yard, and one : cube 1/2 yard on an edge, that's a volume of 1 cu. yd+ vs. : (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2), or 1/8 cu. yd. Ergo, more than 8 cubic cubits in : a stere. I guess I was talking about the modern stere, or something. : : Thanks! : Rich

Your right, the modern cubit is 18 inches, just pulling your leg!

Reply to
Roger Gt

Stepper motors have very low efficiency. I would look at a permanent magnet based washing machine motor.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

I assume you use the SFF system of units Stone-Furlong- Fortnight :) which is quite legitimate. :) Don Kelly snipped-for-privacy@peeshaw.ca remove the urine to answer

Don Kelly

idea

that

Point taken... They are just to low current.

But back to the vertical areofoils on a rotating frame. These can generate several horse power with wind from any direction and should be governed because they can get up to very high speeds.

This type of windmill acts like heleicopter rotors blades when the pitch them for auto rotation when they stop the engine or it fails. In this case they are vertical and pitched to rotate in a circle even in light winds.

Reply to
Scott Wiper