Writing 9 bits in a sequence to perform Soft Reset

Hi all, This is again a follow up on EEPROM discussion I had previously a few days back.Regarding I2C based EEPROM I recently came across an application note from Microchip company (Document name AN709). The note says : "FORCING INTERNAL RESET VIA SOFTWARE

In all designs it is recommended that a software reset sequence be sent to the EEPROM as part of the microcontrollers power up sequence. This sequence guarantees that the EEPROM is in a correct and known state. Assuming that the EEPROM has powered up into an incorrect state (or that a reset occurred at the microcontroller during communication), the following sequence (which is further explained below) should be sent in order to guarantee that the serial EEPROM device is properly reset: =B7 START Bit =B7 Clock in nine bits of '1' =B7 START Bit =B7 STOP Bit The first START bit will cause the device to reset from a state in which it is expecting to receive data from the microcontroller. In this mode the device is monitoring the data bus in receive mode and can detect the START bit which forces an internal reset. The nine bits of '1' are used to force a reset of those devices that could not be reset by the previous START bit. This occurs only if the device is in a mode where it is either driving an acknowledge on the bus (low), or is in an output mode and is driving a data bit of '0' out on the bus. In both of these cases the previous START bit (defined as SDA going low while SCL is high) could not be generated due to the device holding the bus low. By sending nine bits of '1' it is guaranteed that the device will see a NACK (microcontroller does not drive the bus low to acknowledge data sent by EEPROM) which also forces an internal reset. The second START bit is sent to guard against the rare possibility of an erroneous write that could occur if the microcontroller was reset while sending a write command to the EEPROM, and, the EEPROM was driving an ACK on the bus when the first START bit was sent. In this special case if this second START bit was not sent, and instead the STOP bit was sent, the device could initiate a write cycle. This potential for an erroneous write occurs only in the event of the microcontroller being reset while sending a write command to the EEPROM. The final STOP bit terminates bus activity and puts the EEPROM in standby mode. This sequence does not effect any other I2C devices which may be on the bus as they will simply disregard it as an invalid command". =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D I believe this should be done in our software as a protection mechanism.The above APPNOTE says its applicable to all I2C EEPROM chips. My queries are:

1)If I have understood correctly,I need to send a startbit and a sequence of 9 bits to my EEPROM device.Here comes the problem: How will I be able to send 9 bits when my NVRAM chip(mb24256) can allow to write only 8 bits per time? I use 5516 ST chip and this chip acts as I2C master and the above mentioned (mb24256) EEPROM chip acts as a slave device.

Have any of you come across such a situation?How to overcome this problem?Is it feasible for my chip?

Sorry for a long description,but believe this is clear to all to understand the problem. Advanced thanks for all your replys and looking farward for the same,

Regards, s=2Esubbarayan

Reply to
ssubbarayan