V Cut for multiple layers PCB

Hi all,

I need second opinion about V Cut for multiple layers PCB.

I designed a 4-layers PCB, and want to buy 1 or 2 PCB panels from this PCB manufacturer. The PCB manufacturer offered me a V Cut to separate each copy of my design. They said it'd be cheaper since I could break the V Cut with my own hand, rather than separate them using CNC drill.

In my opinion. breaking V Cut using my own hand could crack the image layer / inner layer of the PCB. Am I right about this ? Or V Cut is OK for separating multiple layers PCBs ?

Thank you for your help

Regards,

-kunil

Reply to
kunil

It's not wise at all to try and just break a scored PCB (for the reasons you otulined, plus stress around vias close to the flex line). However you can use a knife or saw to do it by hand, without much risk.

Reply to
larwe

Pay the 2 dollars. Epoxy boards are hell on knives, drills, saws.

CBFalconer

I've had no problems with this, but usually the inner layers are power planes and I keep traces and planes well away from the V-groove.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I agree. Inner layers on all my boards have a greater keepout to the edge then surface layers. My surface keepout from the edge is usually 50 mils minimum and inner layers are 75.

As to breaking them apart, it's ok if you take care. My experience is the same; I've had no problem breaking V-score boards apart by hand.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

I've had success in getting th PCB manufacturer to completely separate boards by V groove. Cheaper than routing. Leaves a sharp corner that can give you FG splinters, though.

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Alf Katz

I've had mixed results. I guess I'd break someone else's boards this way, but not ones I'd paid for. Blades are cheap :)

Reply to
larwe

It can reduce handling costs if the boards are left attached through the assembly and even the testing process.

There is some cosmetic deficiency in the edges, and they can affect people like myself who have skin that is sensitive to the dangling fibers, but if there are no tight mechanical requirements on the V-groove edges, it works fine.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany