Toggling GPIO Pins very quickly

Hey everyone, I'm working with an MSP430f2012 chip and am tryign t generate a delta sigma bitstream using a gpio pin. Unfortunatly whenever try to toggle the pin at a rate faster than 10kHz, the pin appears to no be able to fully rise or fall. But isn't 100 us a little slow for rise/fal times. Is there any way I can make i t rise/fall faster. At the curren moment I'm leaving the pins unattached to anything and just measuring th output on an oscilloscope.

Reply to
TheJokerV

ll

Strange. What clock speed are you running at? Which GPIO is it? Certainly the 2012 can generate *much* faster data rates (orders of magnitude), are you using the PWM generator or the SPI peripheral? Are you testing on the T2012 target board or your own design; if your own, is the chip's Vcc adequately bypassed?

Reply to
larwe

Are you sure that you don't have the pull-up/pull-down resistors enabled instead of the outputs? IIRC, if you do that, then switching the port output simply changes from the pull-up to the pull-down resistors. That would explain the slow rise and fall times, as the resistors are about 35K Ohms.

That part has a bunch of other logic on Port 1 with the comparator inputs, so it looks like there are some extra possibilities for setting up the port improperly.

I ran into similar problems on an MSP43F248 when I was programming the pullup and port output to do a bit-banged open-collector emulation for an I2C port.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson