Tiny block ciphers for embedded systems

Abuses of private or personal information by authorities are a regular issue even in so-called "free" countries. The USA in particular (with the UK following at its heals) seems to place no value on privacy, and information of all sorts is up for sale and abuse by anyone with the money to buy it, or to any state agency which can somehow use the word "terrorism" in the same sentence. I can't think off-hand of any way these tracking dots could be abused, but that's possibly just lack of imagination - it make sense to keep information about yourself and what you do or say as private as possible, unless you specifically want it public.

And as for tracking criminals (printing money or dodgy pictures) - I am not willing to give up my privacy for such purposes. Would you be happy having a GPS tracker in your car monitoring your every movements, just in case such trackers helped catch a criminal? Are you happy that American authorities can monitor all USA phone calls (and most international ones, which mostly pass through the USA) with no justifications and no warrant, on totally spurious claims of "catching terrorists"? Catching criminals is a good thing - but it is not worth any price.

Reply to
David Brown

Really? How? Your answer please. And how could you decide if it was "common" if you have no idea how many messages were sent. Don't put a crap opinion as if it was fact.

Some serious documentaries featuring interviews of

Reply to
David Eather

Hey man

prove that it WAS NOT common. Go ahead and prove it.

F.

Reply to
Uncle Noah

First, prove that it you do NOT have sex with sheep. Go ahead and prove it.

The burden of proof is upon the person making the claim.

In the killfile you go, time-waster -- and I advise others to do likewise.

*PLONK*
Reply to
me

Seconded. Also called "belt and suspenders".

Jan

Reply to
Jan Vorbrüggen

Nope. Watermarking is _not_ DRM, because there is no easy way you can do rights management with it - that would compromise the watermark's security. The watermarking is used as the fallback position when the DRM is compromised, which is always possible, as somebody in this thread noted, as it is using a symmetric cypher.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Vorbrüggen

No, the more usual definition has digital watermarking as a subset of steganography.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Vorbrüggen