three 'where to find?' hardware questons....

story is that I'm just more of sketching this mini-system idea into notes and quick diagrams on paper but if it seem good enough and not that expensive I might try get it onto a prototype board at some date.

where would one find a supplier of floppy controllers? (I only could find old database pages underneath a lot of linux faq sites so....I had to wonder)

if you had used any what was your choice of ide controller? (name too)

is Texas Instruments the only supplier or someone else also makes firewire PHY and host controller ics? (I'm looking for the 1349A

100/200/400mbps type)

well thats all I can think of right now, thanks very much for any help.

oh yeah one last thing: I'm from north america

p.s=I'm not using the x86 architecture so I don't have simplification of their chipsets features choice hence the ide/floppy questions for one

Reply to
dr

Winbond W83877F works good, cheap, ttl bus, IDE, floppy and 2 serial ports. $4.16, no stock, 5 weeks on Arrow website. Documentation kinda sucks.

Be warned that you *will* pull your hair out writing the floppy driver. The chip is based on the old NEC upd765, perhaps one of the least programmer-friendly chips I've ever seen. Can you say "you have to check flags to see if it's safe to check flags?" I knew you could (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You bring me 20 years back... On a 1 MHz 6809, bringing the 765 (the original one... and I will not contradict your description) to work at HD (1.2/1.44M) drives, without using DMA, was pretty challenging, but it did work...

Dimiter

Didi

Definitely makes you an "Old Geek" (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You might consider the "ALFAT" chip which you can get from Saelig. This would let you store your data on a CF, MMC or SD card which is a lot more convenient these days than floppy discs: it does all the FAT work for you. I haven't used them but others here have recommended them.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Jackson

A "controller" is kind of over kill. Its a simple parallel interface. If you have a 8-bit parallel buss, there are lots of bit-banged interfaces.

Donald

hello there again

andrew: thanks for the suggestion but then again I'll like to get a disk drive in as its the most conventional small file sharing way for me now considering I own two pre-pci macintoshs' as well

donald & jim: thanks for the two links from both of you, I've looked at the pdf files for both and decided to go after the smsc ones

didi: at least lets hope I don't even have to touch my hair hehe

Reply to
dr