The software development process.

picky, picky, picky:

enum { blabber = 25; co2 = 30; };

will work as expected! (for some combine of "work" and "expected")

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

admit it.

in a

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

With the more exotic "and such" being perhaps surprisingly common. Cosmic rays and radioactive decay cause one flipped bit a week in a PC with a gig of RAM, according to this:

A straight extrapolation from Corsair's numbers to an MCU with 16 KiB of RAM would give one error every 1300 years, which isn't worth losing much sleep over. The Corsair document is a bit thin on technical details though. Perhaps DRAM is more susceptible than SRAM and we needn't worry at all for a typical MCU. Or perhaps SRAM is much more susceptible and the probability of error is significant.

Does anybody have any proper numbers for 'random' errors in MCUs?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Stopped wrestling with 'PB for windows' because of just that feature. Saw it as a 'state of mind' and a glaring C derived inanity that should have been handled by the compiler, hence transparent to the user. Mr Zale there couldn't understand how such a trivial item could possibly offend a customer who is 100% supportive of his DOS PB product. For the occasional windows fluff, I now use Purebasic. john

Reply to
john

Heck, my copy if the PCI bus spec mentions nothing about boards not being allowed to explode and kill people. Maybe in a later revision?

John

I probably should have added a smiley to my original comment. I also doubt that if your board explodes when plugged into the PCI bus, that it did conform to the spec in the first place. Also I dont think one can specify that when something explodes it should not kill people :-)

To an experienced person , or someone that know what they are doing, many things are "obvious". From all accounts MS neither wants or can get either of these types of persons.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Can the Army make a standard-conforming PCI-bus bomb if they want to?

Reply to
mc

I've heard firsthand that MS has a lot of competant and dedicated programmers. But the structure of Windows, as cobbled up by Bill and pals (you couldn't use the word "designed" anywhere near Windows) make the module interfaces an unholy mess, and the combination of thousands of programmers, hundreds of millions of lines of code, and insane vicious management means they *can't* really write code that works properly. Look at Vista: it has more "features" than XP, uses far more resources to implement Apple-wannabe cosmetics, is missing - after 7 years of work - major promised elements, and will no doubt be less stable and more frustrating than XP when released.

Come to think of it, Apple does most of Microsoft's "design" these days, and Google does the rest.

John

I wonder what the specification for a cluster bomb looks like? Must be truly grim.

John

Its about profits and jobs ( i heard that from Bill Gates ) Thus no one will ever sell nor use good s/w , it puts too many people out of work . Nothing puts humans out of work like a new computer ......

Long ago assemblers belabored the fundamental concept of a Macro , Forth did the opposite and the concept of software "leverage" was born . Some continued to evolve Forth for the new hardware . Its just a matter of time before Linux ,WXP ,UNIX ,C+ et al are tossed . and billions of $$ in Applications !

Its so simple , you dont want to think at a low level or an "obtuse" level , you want it to be intuitive , so you create an OpSys thats structured and simple . But if you listen to C programmers or Linus , you'd think its really hard ! They're belaboring to keep their "job" . When the new free OpSys arrives for the ARM , everyone gets the axe , Microsoft , Linus , GCC ,GNU , Millions of jobs , gone ....

Why use C when a scipting HLL produces an App in 15 minutes without any bugs ? It does this because there is no text , its a GUI , you put images and icons together .... Now you argue that no one can create number stuff with using Fortran or I.E.E.E. 966 Floating point ec etc .... Math is easy , especially if you stay away from the college grads and people with software jobs . How about asking a college professor how to create an OpSys ? Well first ya gotta take my class where i'll tell ya which books ya gotta buy then you'll have to take 3 more classes where i'll tel ya to take 12 more classes .....and at the end where ya get ya diploma , and read my book which tells ya in da summary what i taught ya .

Gall ! a software author writes a book and in the Intro tells ya what he will teach you , in the body tells ya what you should know , but fails to teach ya , and in the summary tells ya what he taught you !!! Then says you're unteachable !! Like Albert Eistein , told by his prof's , he would amount to nothing , he can't learn ... Now same colleges want credit for part of his work . We taught him everything he knows .......

Nothing more Luddite than software ! Nothing so easily obsoleted ..

Creating the first part of OpSys is called the insulation layer , it insulates you from the instruction set / Assembly code . Everything else is so "human" and intuitive , it takes 15 minutes to create an App . You cant create bugs , the kernel tells ya immediately . Kernel does this cause its very structured which allows the Kernel to think exactly like you do . Do you want to [Allocate] 65KB of upper memory ? There is no [allocate] in New Forth , everything is in a Dictionary . Push 2 vars on the [STACK] .... New Forth has auto VARS , you never have to think about Locals/Globals, all you do is move images around and the OpSys learns what TYPE they are , so it knows all about managing what others force you to deal with . Like WXP and Linux force you to manage your own Files/Folders/Objects. New Forth manages ALL for you .

Frithiof Andreas Jensen wrote:

Reply to
werty

Sir/Madame,

Pick a newsgroup and stick with it. This cross posting looks awfully like flame-bait. Either you've got a valid point to make but you're just inexperienced at doing it, or you're just a vandal trying to insert chaos into the system.

If you've got all the answers, go raise some capital, create this magical NewForth you're talking about, and prove it's the answer to all our problems. I like passion but it's easy to come off sounding like a nut case.

-Dave

--
David Ashley                http://www.xdr.com/dash
Embedded linux, device drivers, system architecture

be

Yup. I read the specs for a Swiss made hand grenade, this thing was supposed to deliver 80 fragments per m^2 at two meters distance with minimum energy of 50J each! I bet that hurt!!

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen