Source for tock PCB shielding covers

I'm looking for a small copper or tin "box" that fits over an area of a PCB to shield that area.

I know there are plenty of shops that will do a custom, but the shape is non critical and I can lay my board out around a standard part if they exist.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Beat me to it.

Note also available in small quantities from Farnell/RS/......

Paul Carpenter

Have you ever used perancea for custom metalwork?

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

No, but as you said "shape is non-critical" and you want a "small" box I would have thought that their standard ranges would most likely fit your bill without going custom. Especially as you have not said what "small" and "non-critical shape" actually means in your case.

Last one I used was for a floating differential o/p 16bit DAC with opto-isolation and seperate battery power source. Careful ground plane avoidance and seperate shield area potential worked very well.

Even had standard 2.5mm pitch radial electrolytics inside. Most parts were surface mount on PCB.

For most jobs where you are putting a can onto the PCB the standard PFL (frame and lid)or PCMC (complete can) are sufficient.

Consider also the STANDARD sizes go from

PFL PCMC Min 25 x 25 x 11 20 x 20 x 15 (external dimensions) Max 165 x 105 x 36 101 x 51 x 26

There is plenty of scope for most people.

Take a look at the standard ranges first to see if one of those will work.

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Radio Shack _used_ to have a line of this sort. Since, to all practical purposes, they stopped selling anything useful they may well no longer stock it.

--

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

If this is a small volume project, consider making your own; you can make a very professional cover or box using only a shear, small vice and exacto knife. I use the tin EMI/RFI sheets salvaged from 6000-series Macintosh computers (about 16 inch square virgin sheet in each machine) for the stock. By scoring on the top and bottom of the sheet on the line of each bend, you don't even need a brake for a decent bend in the vice. Solder the corners for a good RF seal.

Regards,

Michael msg _at_ cybertheque _dot_ org

Reply to
msg

Thanks for all the replies. I found this:

And it looks like their .75"x1.5"x.25" part will work fine. The price is good at $65/sheet of 60.

Reply to
Jim Stewart