Some help on using a small 2.4" touch TFT display

Il 19/03/2015 13:47, armCode ha scritto:

So I did understand correctly. Thank you for sharing your code.

Ok, I'll check.

Good, because my application is similar to yours.

Have you tried some graphical effects similar to the emWin sample "Smart Phone Menu"

Is the final effect acceptable?

And what about the transition from one screen to another one completely different? Classic example: the user touches a button and goes to another screen. Is the painting delay of the new screen noticeble?

Reply to
pozz

of

Have

on

is

might

There is no noticeable delay between screens switching; the GUI_Exec() function is running every 10ms on a low priority task.

I have uploaded a video with some demo screens for the 8 bit MPU parallel interface and 64K colors settings.There are custom fonts, significant traffic over the Ethernet (MODBUS-TCP server) and a relatively large application code running in background.

Note: Ignore the background LCD flickering. It is only present on recorded video. I couldn't set my camera to record more than 30FPS.

I hope this help ...

armCode

I don't know what your application is really. Your description is pretty vague, but if it is just menus it sounds pretty durn simple to me. If you are using a CM3 or CM4 type processor with internal memory your graphics will be constrained in many respects anyway due to the limited memory size. Do a little math. How may pixels do you have? How long does it take to write to the I/O port the LCD is connected to? Do the math and see how long it takes to update it. You do know that you can use I/Os that are on the same port so that a write is just a very few processor cycles, right?

I expect your bottle neck will be generating the data to be displayed, not the actual display writing.

I don't recommend that you ask for opinions. I don't know enough about your project. For example you still haven't told me how many you plan to make. I would bet you can find an existing product that will do everything you need... unless there are things you haven't told us about. Why reinvent the wheel? Are you planning to make millions of them?

Yes, more hardware, but quick development and potentially a lower system cost depending on your system. It all depends on things I don't know about.

--

Rick
Reply to

Il 20/03/2015 01:11, armCode ha scritto:

Are you using a RTOS? If yes, which one?

Great, this is very similar to my application and the result is very good.

The only "complex" graphic effect I'd like to implement is a smooth scrolling list by touch (I've lists of 20-30 elements to show). Similar to the "Smart Phone Menu" example of emWin. Have you tried a similar thing?

I know it could be a long job to download, import and run the Smart Phone Menu from emWin... anyway I ask you: could you make the test for me and make a video? A beer for you :-)

Reply to
pozz

I used Free RTOS and RTX. It really doesn't matter, all behave the same way.

parallel

recorded

good.

:)

I didn't use the emWin's touch scrolling list but a smooth touch scrolling list or list-wheel requires higher refresh rates. You won't get that without an integrated controller and external display memory.

armCode

Il 20/03/2015 13:29, armCode ha scritto: >> [...]

I understand... it's a pity. I think I'll draw two simple up/down buttons to scrool long lists.

Just another question.

I see your board doesn't provide external non-volatile memory, such as SPI Flash. In your application, the MCU internal Flash memory is sufficient for graphics, fonts and so on? If I will need additional memory for images and graphics, which one do you suggest?

Reply to
pozz

Similar

scrolling

The board is built around LPC1768, no external memory controller. For an external parallel FLASH you can use S29GL0xx with a LPC1788 micro-controller. You can try a SPI FLASH memory, but expect lower performance.

Not sure about your complexity, but 512KB seems to be enough for the applications I did so far. The app you have seen is around 200k code + 100k read only data (no optimizations). It includes RTOS, TCP stack, emWin, eight custom fonts, GUI menu, communication protocols, peripherals driver, user code etc.

armCode